No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
First things first. Before we get into the week’s biggest news stories, Warp Zoned is proud to announce that Hell has frozen over! 2K Games and Gearbox Software have announced an official release date for Duke Nukem Forever. After nearly 15 years, the world’s most famous piece of vaporware will be released on May 3rd.
Now then, on with the rest of the Weekly Warp-Up…
Get Warp Zoned!
Sega’s latest efforts to bring Sonic the Hedgehog into the 21st century have been met with poor critical reviews and an even poorer reception from hardcore Sonic fans. We lace up our red sneakers in an attempt to describe How To Make the Perfect Sonic the Hedgehog Game.
And Episode 2 of the Warp Zoned Podcast is now available for your streaming and downloading pleasure. In this episode, we discuss what we’re playing, what we wish we were playing, and what we’ll be playing soon as. We also comment on the good, the bad, and the ugly of MAGFest, leading into a commentary on gaming culture as well as convention culture. (This part is not for the faint of heart, as Senior Editor Nicole Kline’s inner truck driver comes out in full force.)
3DS NYC Reveal
- 3DS Launch Details: Releasing March 27, priced at $250
- 24 games planned for release in the “launch window”
- More details on Ubisoft’s 3DS launch lineup
- Namco Bandai announces Ridge Racer 3D
- Team Ninja is bringing Samus Aran and Ridley to Dead or Alive Dimensions
- Hudson reveals their 3DS lineup (surprise, surprise, it includes a Bomberman game). The company is also being wholly acquired by Konami.
Square Enix 1st Production Department Premier
- All the announcements from Square Enix’s Tokyo showcase
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII remains a PS3 excluisve.
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 is officially announced. See the first trailer here.
The Week in Reviews…
- Kirby’s Epic Yarn: A Game That Doesn’t “Suck!”
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II: Starkiller Strikes Back in a By-the-Numbers Sequel
It’s a Secret to Everybody…
- Rumor has it Infinity Ward is working on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, but they needed some help from Raven and Sledgehammer.
- A leaked L.A. Noire trailer revealed the game will be released for the PS3 and Xbox 360 on May 17
- Epic Games trademarked Gears of War: Exile as the title of a possible game.
- Don’t be evil? Hardly. Google blocks Kongregate app on Android devices.
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 includes topless female golfers? Maybe, says a UK tabloid.
The Week in New Games…
- This Week’s Releases: LittleBigPlanet 2, Mass Effect 2, Mindjack, a lot more
- Next Week’s Releases: Dead Space 2, Two Worlds II, Lord of Arcana, a lot more
The Week in Announcements…
- NetherRealm’s Mortal Kombat reboot has a release date. It’s coming April 19.
- A trailer for the Call of Duty: Black Ops DLC pack First Strike strikes the web.
- Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy will be released on March 22
- The Killzone 3 beta will begin on February 2nd and if you buy the game, it’ll include an invite for the SOCOM 4 beta
- The “Macho Man” Randy Savage wants you to pick him in these new WWE All-Stars trailers
- LittleBigPlanet 2 has a record-breaking launch party
- Portal 2 gets PC-PS3 crossplatform compatibility
- Two new challengers approach Marvel vs Capcom 3: Akuma and Taskmaster
CBS got tricky with the cover art of their Amazing Race Wii game, inadvertently revealing most of the returning teams in Amazing Race: Unfinished Business.