I know what you’re thinking… what about Madden? Well, for some strange reason, The NPD Group’s tracking team considers August 30 a part of the September report. Perhaps they’ve taken a few too many hits to the head (BOOM!). But whatever the reason, So Deus Ex: Human Revolution was the bestselling game in August.
Deus Ex may have won, but the industry as a whole lost. A 23 percent drop from August 2011 meant that sales were way down across the board. The lack of a new Madden game in August actually explains that drop pretty well though. Only Nintendo’s repriced 3DS system, which sold 185,000 consoles from August 12 to the end of the period, could be considered a success. Sony’s price cut for the PS3 also increased sales of the HD console.
You can check out the complete top ten for August 2011 right here:
1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
2. NCAA Football 12 (Xbox 360, PS3)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC)
4. Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension (DS, Wii, PS3)
5. Cars 2 (DS, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
6. Just Dance: Summer Party (Wii)
7. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
8. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (Wii, Xbox 360, DS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
10. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3)