Can you guess the best-selling game of May 2012 according to The NPD Group’s monthly calculations? Go on, guess, it’s not really a mystery… The best-selling game of May 2012 was Blizzard’s Diablo III.
Diablo III’s loot frenzy was the lone bright spot for the game industry this month as total sales were down 28% from May 2011 with console hardware taking the biggest hit (a 39% drop).
But that’s not for lack of trying. A ton of new releases broke into the top ten this month including Max Payne 3 (#2), Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (#3), Sniper Elite V2 (#7), and Dragon’s Dogma (#9). But I guess they didn’t put up the sales numbers to compete with last May’s biggest game, L.A. Noire.
The complete top ten can be found after the break.
Bestselling Games in May 2012
1. Diablo III (PC)
2. Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
3. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Xbox 360, PS3)
4. Prototype 2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
5. NBA 2K12 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC)
7. Sniper Elite V2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
8. Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
9. Dragon’s Dogma (Xbox 360, PS3)
10. Just Dance 3 (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3)