No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
There’s very little actual news in the early part of the year. It’s all rumors and innuendo and announcements of announcements of announcements. And we’ve got plenty of those to talk about. But this week’s real top story is clearly the announcement of Dead Island: Riptide’s Zombie Bait Edition.
The game’s publisher, Deep Silver, announced the UK-only special edition with typical fanfare… Exclusive DLC! Special packaging! Concept art! A collectible statue! It would excite fans and leave everyone else alone, except this particular statue was an almost-lifesize bust of a female torso. Bust being the operative word here.
The public reacted. People who didn’t understand what the big deal was counter-reacted. Deep Silver apologized in that half-hearted way that faceless corporations tend to do (it was so half-hearted that no one is even sure if the Zombie Bait Edition will be released as scheduled). And yet, what strikes me is that no one would have cared if Deep Silver had just slapped a head on their statue. A statue of a woman in a bikini is not something I’d have in my house, but a statue of just the breasts of a brutally murdered woman is pretty offensive. I wonder if Deep Silver has realized that yet?
If you’re looking for more run-of-the-mill news and rumors, you can find them after the break.
The Week in Reviews…
- Crimson Shroud: A Different Take on the RPG
- New Super Mario Bros. U: The Awesome is in Another Castle
The Week in New Games…
- This Week’s Releases: DMC: Devil May Cry, BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition
- This Week’s PlayStation Network Update: DMC: Devil May Cry, Angry Birds Trilogy, Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Siren, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
- This Week’s XBLA Wednesday: None
- This Week’s Nintendo Download: Fire Emblem: Awakening demo, Tokyo Crash Mobs, and more
- Next Week’s Releases: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, The Sims 3: 70s, 80s, and 90s Stuff
Amazing Paperboy Delivers…
- Nintendo has announced release dates for many of this Spring’s 3DS and Wii U games.
- But they’ve also delayed Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101.
- Ubisoft has sneaked the release of Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist into August.
- Pandora’s Tower has finally… FINALLY… been given a North American release date.
- Microsoft has announced another free-to-play XBLA/Windows 8 game: World Series of Poker: Full House Pro.
- Nintendo has announced they’ll release a special Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS system on February 4.
- Disney has officially announced their “toys and games” platform, Disney Infinity.
- Injustice: Gods Among Us will teleport into stores on April 16.
- The Dust 514 open beta begins next week.
- Journey was nominated for 11 awards (more than any other game) by the 2013 DICE Awards.
It’s A Secret To Everybody…
- Sony may discontinue the DualShock design for their controllers with the PlayStation 4/Orbis.
- Bungie will discuss their “New Universe,” Destiny, at this year’s GDC.
- The creator of Dust: An Elysian Tail has hinted that another game in the series may be in the works.
Bethesda has applied for a trademark for an apocalyptic television series set in the Fallout universe.