Yup, you can definitely tell we’re in a console transition period. Just a single new release was able to crack the list of the top ten best-selling games of May 2013.
Deep Silver’s Metro: Last Light was that game and the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 shooter was able to claim the sixth spot for the mutants of post-apocalyptic Russia. A pair of sorta-new releases helped push the profile of two titles that were originally released in years past. The 3DS version of Donkey Kong Country Returns lifted the game to #3 and the Wii U re-release of Lego Batman 2 helped the Brick Knight squeeze into the #10 slot.
According to Game Informer, sales of retail games are down 31% from May 2012 and retail sales are going to continue to drop as Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony move towards an all-digital future. Althugh, to be fair, May 2012 did include the release of Diablo III, which sold a ton of copies at retail.
The NPD Group’s complete report on the top ten best-selling games from May 2013 can be found after the break.
Bestselling Games in May 2013
1. Injustice: Gods Among Us (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U)
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS, Wii)
4. Dead Island: Riptide (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
5. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
6. Metro: Last Light (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
7. NBA 2K13 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC)
8. Bioshock Infinite (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
9. Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
10. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DS, 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PC)