The NPD Group has delivered their monthly report on the state of the retail game market and December 2013 was another blockbuster month. According to Joystiq, consumers spent $3.28 billion on video game products last month, an increase of two percent over December 2012. And thanks to new consoles, hardware sales were way up, totalling $1.37 billion (versus $1.07 billion last year).
And speaking of next-generation consoles, NPD is reporting that the Xbox One can lay claim to the US sales crown for December. Though Sony still holds a slight edge in total worldwide sales.
As for the games, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 pulled off a repeat atop the retail sales chart. They were followed by the usual assortment of holiday season bestsellers and you can find last month’s complete top ten after the break.
Bestselling Games in December 2013
1. Call Of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PC)
2. Battlefield 4 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
3. Just Dance 2014 (Wii, Xbox 360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
4. Madden NFL 25 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
5. NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
6. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
7. Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360, PS3)
8. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Vita, PC)
9. FIFA 14 (Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
10. Skylanders Swap Force (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS, Xbox One, PS4)