The NPD Group has finished calculating the 2014 game sales in the United States and they’re ready to declare a winner. In 2014, gamers bought more copies of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare than any other game. The franchise actually bookended both ends of the list as Call of Duty: Ghosts tabulated enough 2014 sales to check in at #10. In between those two extremes, the list actually features plenty of familiar faces.
Last year’s best-selling game, Grand Theft Auto V, managed to heist the #4 spot thanks to good sales in the early half of the year and a PS4/Xbox One re-release in the Fall. Sports games occupied three spots in the top ten as Madden NFL 15 (#2), NBA 2K15 (#7), and FIFA 15 (#9) were all popular with players.
Gamers voted with their wallets and both of 2014’s budding megafranchises-in-the-making cracked the top ten. Destiny came in at #3 while Watch Dogs had to settle for the #8 spot.
All told, game software sales were down 13% in 2014 to $5.3 billion. That’s still an impressive chunk of change, but players are increasingly moving over to digital storefronts for the majority of their game purchases. The complete top ten from 2014 can be found after the break.
Best-Selling Retail Games of 2014
1. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
2. Madden NFL 15 (Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3)
3. Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3)
4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3)
5. Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
6. Super Smash Bros. For 3DS / Super Smash Bros. For Wii U (3DS, Wii U)
7. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
8. Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
9. FIFA 15 (Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Wii, 3DS, Vita)
10. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PC)
[Source: Venture Beat]