No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
April Fool’s Day is usually a terrible time to be a video game fan because terrible people make terrible jokes about things that aren’t real. Thankfully, that didn’t really happen this year. Google initially threw down the gauntlet with a playable Pac-Man Map option added to Google Maps. Then Techland revealed a one-day-only superpower boost for Dying Light. Nicalis followed that up by announcing The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth for the New 3DS, Wii U, and Xbox One in the most insane way possible. I even rather enjoyed Sony’s ridiculous (but obvious) PlayStation Flow prank.
The Nintendo blew it all up with a Nintendo Direct packed with new information about a ton Nintendo games. Who cares about April Fool’s jokes when there is real news to read? Nintendo killed April Fool’s Day and I hope it becomes an annual tradition. Especially because we got to find out about 200cc Class in Mario Kart 8, the American release of Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains, Mario Maker‘s release date, and Splatoon‘s release date. Even Fatal Frame 5 got an official US launch date.
And because it was the first of the month this week, the Warp Zoned staff got together to reveal our Games of April 2015 and What We Played in March 2015. One of those games was the excellent Axiom Verge, which was awarded a perfect score by Staff Writer Mike Ryan.
More news from the week that was can be found after the break.
New Game Announcements
- Ubisoft announced that Assassin’s Creed Chronicles has become a trilogy of games with the first scheduled for April 21.
- Lichdom: Battlemage will be released for consoles this Fall.
- Nintendo wants to add new characters to Super Smash Bros. For Wii U/3DS and they’re asking fans to make suggestions.
- Mewtwo and Lucas are both coming to Super Smash Bros. For Wii U/3DS as downloadable characters.
- Quantum Break has been pushed back to 2016.
- Sunset Overdrive‘s second expansion is now available as game gets an official price cut.
- Evolve‘s first add-on Monster and Hunters are now available.
- Still need to pick up a PS4? Sony will be producing two Batman: Arkham Knight system bundles.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition’s Jaws of Hakkon expansion will be available for the PS3, PS4, and Xbox 360 in May.
- Project Root has a release date… April 28 on the PS4, Xbox One, and Vita.
- We Are Doomed has a release date… April 14 on PS4 and April 17 on Xbox One.
- Halo 5: Guardians has a release date… October 27.
- Well hello Mr. Fancypants… Bruce Campbell joins the “Exo Zombies” mode in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.
Rumor Has It
- We got a small teaser of Gears of War 4 this week… sort of.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Bloodborne, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, Pillars of Eternity, more
- Nintendo Download: Super Mario 64 on Wii U, Yoshi’s Island DS on Wii U, Story of Seasons, more
- PlayStation Store: Axiom Verge, MLB 15: The Show, RBI Baseball 15, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): RBI Baseball 15, Neverwinter, Pool Nation FX
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, Etrian Mystery Dungeon