The NPD Group has published their monthly report on the financial state of the video game industry and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has emerged as the best-selling game of May 2015.
The Witcher 3’s victory was assured after the game leapfrogged both of April’s big releases including Mortal Kombat X (#2) and Grand Theft Auto V (#3). The only other May release to make the list, Nintendo’s Splatoon, swam its way into the fifth spot. Though Splatoon should get extra notice for being the only platform-exclusive title in the top ten.
All told, retail sales for games, hardware, and accessories were down 13% versus May 2014. However, Mario Kart 8, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and the continued success of TitanFall more than explain the sales gap. The drop-off might have been even bigger if it weren’t for a new wave of Amiibo figures. According to NPD’s Liam Callahan (speaking to GamesIndustry.biz), accessories rose 20% year-over-year, with a 73% increase for “interactive gaming toys.” Callahan also confirmed that the PS4 was the best-selling console of the month.
The complete top ten list of best-selling games for May 2015 can be found after the break.
Bestselling Games in May 2015
1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
2. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
3. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
4. Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
5. Splatoon (Wii U)
6. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
7. NBA 2K15 (Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
8. FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, Vita)
9. MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
10. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U / Super Smash Bros. For 3DS (Wii U, 3DS)