No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
The only news last week was the untimely passing of Nintendo’s President and CEO, Satoru Iwata. Just 55 years old at the time of his death, Iwata wasn’t a prolific hitmaker like Shigeru Miyamoto or a big talker like Hideo Kojima, but his quiet devotion to video games has certainly made the world a better place.
Thousands paid their respects at Iwata’s funeral this weekend while thousands more have petitioned Nintendo to create an Amiibo figure to honor their late leader. After seeing Iwata perform hosting duties for Nintendo’s series of Nintendo Direct video, I think he would have enjoyed that very much.
More news from this past week, including our review of Kholat, can be found after the break.
New Game Announcements
- Angry Birds 2 will be released on July 30. Apparently the more than a dozen spinoffs don’t count.
- Shenmue III set a record by becoming most-funded video game on Kickstarter with a few hours to spare.
- Bethesda’s Pete Hines said that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim‘s paid mods “didn’t pan out.”
- It didn’t take a detective to realize that Batman: Arkham Knight would be the best-selling game of June 2015.
- The Flock will attempt to be a “limited-time” game when its released this Summer.
- The Elder Scrolls Online’s “Imperial City” expansion will be available soon.
- Telltale Games will release Game of Thrones: A Nest of Vipers on July 21.
- Randy Pitchford’s #AskRandy Q&A on Twitter went horribly wrong for the developer.
- The forums for Epic Games were hacked. Remember to change your password.
- Konami removed Hideo Kojima’s name from the cover of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
- Deep Silver dropped Yager as the developer of Dead Island 2.
- Paramore, Disturbed, Foster the People, and others have been added to Guitar Hero Live‘s tracklist.
- N++ will finally be released for the PS4 on July 28.
- Despite rumors to the contrary, Nintendo still plans to publish Devil’s Third.
- Believe it or not, but Bandai Namco is “pretty far” into the development process for Tekken X Street Fighter.
- Marvel has a number of “quality-focused” console games in development.
- Harmonix has added songs from the Foo Fighters, The Cure, Aerosmith, and more to Rock Band 4.
- Shenmue III – “Lake of the Lantern Bugs”
- Sonic Generations – “Shia LaBeouf DLC”
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III – “The Giant”
Rumor Has It
- Gearbox’s post-Battleborn game will be “extremely different” from everything else they’ve done.
- Gearbox would like to make an “authentic” new entry in the Brothers in Arms franchise.
- Gearbox has done some concept work on Duke Nukem 5.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour, God of War III Remastered, Godzilla, More
- Nintendo Download: Tiny Galaxy, Blaster Master, Airport Hero Narita, more
- PlayStation Store: God of War III Remastered, Rory McIlroy PGA Tour, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Rory McIlroy PGA Tour, Prototype Biohazard Bundle, Guncraft: Blocked and Loaded, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): So Many Me, No Time To Explain, SlashDash
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Zombie Army Trilogy, Onechanbara Z2: Chaos, F1 2015