July is not typically a very strong month for new game releases, and only a single new title was able to crack the NPD Group’s recounting of the ten best-selling games of the month. But it was Lego Jurassic World, a June release, that sits at the top of the sales food chain this month.
Debuting at #3 in the NPD’s June report, Lego Jurassic World likely got a boost from the tremendous box office support for the film. After nearly nine weeks in theaters, the film has earned more than $636 million. Only Titanic ($658 million) and Avatar ($760 million) have made more money at the domestic box office.
While it’s unlikely that Lego Jurassic World will reach those heights, the game is another hit for WB Games, which had yet another big month in July. Batman: Arkham Knight (#2) and Mortal Kombat X (#8) once again both landed in the top ten.
The only new release to break into the top ten last month was EA’s Rory McIlroy PGA Tour. Before McIlroy, Tiger Woods had been PGA Tour’s pitchman for more than 15 years. As great as Tiger used to be, it looks like EA doesn’t need him to sell their golf game.
Finally this month, GamesIndustry.biz is reporting that overall sales of all game-related items (hardware, software, and accessories) is roughly even with July 2014. Both July 2014 and July 2015 produced around $184 million in total sales.
The complete top ten for July 2015 can be found after the break.
Bestselling Games in July 2015
1. Lego Jurassic World (Xbox 360, 3DS, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PS4, Vita)
2. Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
3. Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
5. Rory McIlroy PGA Tour (PS4, Xbox One)
6. The Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
7. Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3)
8. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
9. FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)
10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)