No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
The NPD Group has delivered its monthly report on the state of the game industry’s retail sales, and once again Call of Duty: Black Ops III is sitting atop the top ten. The research firm also publishing its findings for all of 2015 and Black Ops III topped that list as well. To bandwagon on all this bragging, Activision added that the Call of Duty franchise has now sold more than 250 million copies since its debut in 2003.
If you’re looking for another recap of last month, the Warp Zoned staff got together to talk about What We Played in December 2015. And then we followed that up with a discussion of The Games of January 2016.
More news from the week that was can be found after the break.
New Game Announcements
- Psychonauts will be released for the PS4 this Spring.
- Pokken Tournament will be released for the Wii U on March 18.
- Lego Avengers will get bonus content from Captain America: Civil War and Ant-Man on the PS4 and PS3.
- Bayonetta 2 will get a price cut on February 19, but Bayonetta will be removed from the box.
- Capcom Vancouver will use Unreal Engine 4 for multiple upcoming projects.
- Nominees for the 2016 DICE Awards were announced.
- EA brought the EA Access subscription service to the PC as Origin Access.
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games will be released for the 3DS on March 18.
- Deep Silver confirmed a May 17 release date for Homefront: The Revolution.
- The WGA nominated Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, Pillars of Eternity, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for the 2016 Writers Guild Award for “Outstanding Videogame Writing.”
- Harmonix added the Disturbed Pack 04 to the Rock Band 4 Music Store.
- Housemarque will release Alienation for the PS4 in March.
- Mortal Kombat X – “Kombat Pack 2 Gameplay Trailer”
- Unravel – “Yarny’s Inspiration”
- Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India – “Launch Trailer”
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: None
- Nintendo Download: Metroid: Zero Mission, Lionel City Builder 3D, Space Hulk, more
- PlayStation Store: Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India, The Banner Saga, Gone Home, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Gone Home, The Banner Saga, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Zheros, Oxenfree
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Resident Evil Origins Collection, Life Is Strange, More