No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
After being teased as “The Next Big Thing” practically my whole life, the virtual reality revolution is finally at hand as Oculus announced that the Oculus Rift will be available on March 28 for $600. The company is definitely asking for quite a large chunk of change to enter their new playground (the $1,000 PC you’ll need to power the Rift is a separate purchase), but thus is the price of being on the ground floor for “The Next Big Thing.”
In other 2016 news, Microsoft gave us a “snapshot” of its slate of PC/Xbox One exclusives for the upcoming calendar year. Most of the titles should look familiar to anyone who saw the consolemaker’s E3 2015 Press Conference, but they did confirm that Keiji Inafune’s ReCore has slipped from a Spring release into the Fall. Microsoft also delivered the not-unexpected news that Platinum’s Scalebound will be released in 2017.
Finally this week, we here at Warp Zoned want you to take a step back into 2015 for a moment as we reveal the winners of our 2015 Golden Pixel Awards. SPOILER ALERT… We liked Axiom Verge, Splatoon and Super Mario Maker a lot.
More news from this past week can be found after the break.
- Sony reconfirmed a 2016 release date for The Last Guardian as the PS4 sold six million consoles during the holiday season.
- Splatoon‘s next Splatfest for North America is all about time travel.
- The nominees for the 2016 Independent Games Festival Awards and the 2016 Game Developers Choice Awards were announced.
- Psychonauts 2 reached its $3.3 million funding goal on Fig and will be released in Fall 2018 for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
- EA Sports kicked out a March 15 release date and a a new gameplay trailer for EA Sports UFC 2.
- Square Enix confirmed that Rise of the Tomb Raider will officially be released for the PC on January 28.
- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam – “Launch Trailer”
Rumor Has It
- Deep Silver might release Homefront: The Revolution on May 17.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: None
- Nintendo Download: The Adventures of Bayou Billy, Hogan’s Alley, Wild Gunman, more
- PlayStation Store: Amplitude, Rebel Galaxy, Volume for Vita, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Hyper Void, G Prime: Into The Rain
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Lovely Planet, Unepic, Cubot
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: None