The NPD Group recently delivered their monthly report on the state of retail video game sales, and the market research firm once again crowned Call of Duty: Black Ops III as the best-selling game of the month. The military shooter’s January 2016 victory is its third straight, but the industry as a whole is in a bit of a slump due to last month’s lack of new releases.
According to GamesIndustry.biz, retail sales for new games totaled $212.7 million last month, down from $235.6 million in 2015. The NPD Group speculated that the lack of a highly-anticipated new title like Techland’s Dying Light might be the cause for the dip, which makes sense when you realize that only one new release, Lego Avengers, was able to crack the top ten. Across the entire industry, US consumers spent $605.2 million on games, consoles, and accessories in January 2016, which was slightly down from January 2015’s total of $627.6 million.
Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 4, Minecraft, and a few others continue to tally impressive sales. And you can find them all in the full top ten list of January 2016’s best-selling games, which is available after the break.
Bestselling Games in January 2016
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
2. Grand Theft Auto V (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
3. NBA 2K16 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
4. Star Wars: Battlefront (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
5. Fallout 4 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
6. Minecraft (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
7. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
8. Madden NFL 16 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
9. Lego Avengers (3DS, PC, PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
10. FIFA 16 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)