No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
With the 2016 E3 Expo inching ever closer, more and more rumors have started to crop up about what the major publishers are working on next. Just look at Rockstar Games, the publishing label hasn’t produced an original game since 2013’s Grand Theft Auto V, but this week we learned they’re working on “multiple projects,” and that one of them might be Red Dead Redemption 2.
I don’t doubt that something big is brewing within the walls of Rockstar, but it’s a little harder to believe that id Software is going to jump straight from Doom to Quake 5. However, I also can’t picture them trying something new just yet, so a return to one of gaming’s biggest franchises could be a very real possibility (albeit one we might not get to play until 2018).
Elsewhere on Warp Zoned this week, we reviewed Renegade Kid’s Mutant Mudds Super Challenge, and if you’re a fan of retro-inspired platformers, you might want to give it a chance.
More news from this past week can be found after the break.
New Game Announcements
- NASCAR Heat: Evolution will be released on September 13.
- 2K Games will release WWE 2K17 in October.
- Batman: Return to Arkham compilation will bring the first two games to the PS4 and Xbox One this July.
- Coldwood Interactive and EA will team up again for Unravel 2.
- NIS America will bring Phantom Brave to Steam on July 25.
- Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius will be available for mobile devices this Summer.
Pre-Launch Updates and Release Date Announcements
- Capcom is adding Arthur’s armor from Ghosts N Goblins to Monster Hunter Generations.
- Gran Turismo Sport will drive onto the PS4 on November 15.
- SteamWorld Heist is coming to the PS4 and Vita on May 31.
- Yo-Kai Watch 2 will be released in North America on September 30
Other Game News
- Battleborn’s first DLC character, Alani, will be available very soon.
- Nintendo has sold more than 3.5 million copies of Super Mario Maker.
- Microsoft will shut down Project Spark this August.
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End – “Accessibility Features”
- Kirby: Planet Robobot – “Overview Trailer”
- Gran Turismo Sport – “Gameplay Trailer”
- Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens – “Poe Dameron”
- Overwatch – “Dragons (Animated Short)”
- Shovel Knight is getting a series of tie-in books for kids this January.
- I’m not making this up… but Tetris: The Movie is a “sci-fi thriller” that’s the first in a trilogy.
- Bethesda commissioned a chainsaw artist to create a sculpture of Doom’s Revenant.
- Nintendo wants to get back into the filmmaking business and might release an animated film based on one of their big games in the next two-to-three years.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, Homefront: The Revolution
- Nintendo Download: PokePark Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure, Contra III: The Alien Wars, PixelJunk Monsters, more
- PlayStation Store: Homefront: The Revolution, Shadow of the Beast, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Homefront: The Revolution, Subnautica (Game Preview), Super Night Riders, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Cubikolor
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Overwatch, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan, more