I can’t remember the first time I heard a rumor that 2K was looking to remaster the BioShock series for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One… but it was definitely a long time ago. Well, the time for rumors has ended, and 2K has chosen to officially re-release the acclaimed trilogy for the PC and new-generation consoles, as BioShock: The Collection, on September 13.
Development on BioShock: The Collection will be handled by Blind Squirrel Games, and the compilation will package BioShock, BioShock 2, and BioShock Infinite together for the first time. Not only will each game in The Collection feature remastered graphics, but it’ll also include every piece of single-player DLC for all three titles and a brand new video series, Director’s Commentary: Imagining BioShock, with new insights from Director Ken Levine and Lead Artist Shawn Robertson.
Here’s a rundown of everything BioShock: The Collection will contain:
- Museum of Orphaned Concepts: Walk through a Rapture-inspired virtual museum that gives you a behind-the-scenes look at discarded concepts that never made it into the original game.
- Challenge Rooms: Outside the story of BioShock, tackle puzzles, splicers and Big Daddies. And Achievements, of course.
- Minerva’s Den: A self-contained BioShock story, presenting a side of Rapture you’ve never seen before. Use expanded combat abilities with the experimental Ion Laser and chaotic Gravity Well Plasmid, unique to Minerva’s Den, as you face off against the Lancer Big Daddy.
- Protector Trials: Take control of an Alpha Series Big Daddy woken out of hibernation just before the events of BioShock 2.
- Burial at Sea – Episode 1 + 2 Add-On Packs: This major two-part DLC pack completes the BioShock trilogy by taking the series back to where it all began. Return to Rapture just before the events of the original BioShock!
- Clash in the Clouds Add-On Pack: Face 60 waves of challenges across four additional maps for leaderboard glory and unlock areas to explore in The Columbian Archaeological Society hub museum.
- Columbia’s Finest Pack: Combines the contents of the Industrial Revolution Pack and the Upgrade Pack and includes 500 Silver Eagles, five Lock Picks, six unique Gear items, and two weapon upgrades: Comstock’s China Broom Shotgun and Comstock’s Eagle Eye Sniper Rifle.
Unfortunately, there’s one thing the compilation is leaving out… the multiplayer options from BioShock 2 won’t be included in BioShock: The Collection.