Electronic Arts and Respawn have announced that Titanfall 2‘s Open Beta (which they’re calling an “Open Multiplayer Technical Test”) will be available to download on the PS4 and Xbox One beginning Friday, August 19. Players will be able to battle it out in a pair of modes all weekend long:
- Bounty Hunt (5v5): A brand new mode that pits Pilots and their teammates against an opposing team as well as the Remnant Fleet. Earn bonuses by killing grunts and enemies, but make sure and deposit all your points at the bank between waves without getting killed.
- Pilots vs. Pilots (8v8): Players can be the best Pilot on the Frontier and put their combat and mobility skills to the ultimate test in this classic 8 vs 8 Pilots only mode.
- Boomtown: A secret underground IMC facility where the latest in R&D is put to the test. In this facility Pilots can use the many peaked roofs to use as cover against combatants below. With tight lanes through the middle, Titans can also be easily ambushed.
- Homestead: The IMC have claimed Imminent Domain on a small commune’s plot of land. With a series of raised, rocky plateaus and a river running down the middle, Pilots are mostly safe from Titans among the rocks and trees but they also can duck into the caves and building when needed. However, the Titans control the large rolling fields.
Players will be able to take part in Titanfall 2’s “Open Multiplayer Technical Test” for a second weekend beginning on Friday, August 26. In addition to the modes and maps from the first weekend, Respawn will add another mode and map for players to try out:
- Amped Hardpoint (6v6): A new twist on Hardpoint Domination from the original game; now defending a Hardpoint will let you amp it, giving your team double score. Team work is the key to securing victory.
- Forward Base Kodai: Militia forces have taken over an IMC substation and set up a forward operating base. Pilots can find safety from Titans in the hallways and chambers of the main building, while Titans can walk over the roof to get a better view of the action.
Respawn plans to use Titanfall 2’s “Open Multiplayer Technical Test” to showcase some of the game’s new features including two brand new Titans (Ion and Scorch), as well as a few tactical abilities for Pilots including the Grapple GVun, Holo Point, and Pulse Blade. And for players who want to go in guns blazing, Respawn will include a variety of weapons including the Masttiff (“a deadly horizontal spread shotgun”) and the Alternator (“a dual-barrel SMG”).
Finally, if you’re interested in a look at the first live multiplayer stream for Titanfall 2, check out a replay of today’s pre-Gamescom livestream at Twitch.
Titanfall 2 will be released for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 28.