No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
The Chicago Cub and Cleveland Indians will be squaring off in the World Series next week, but the video game industry might have topped that unlikely matchup with a series of blockbuster announcements this week.
First, Nintendo unveiled their NX console! Officially known as the Switch, the rumors of a console/handheld hybrid with detachable controllers proved to be right on the money. Later that same day, Rockstar unveiled the first trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2, which will be released for the PS4 and Xbox One in Fall 2017.
Not to be outdone, Sony revealed that development on The Last Guardian is complete, confirming that it will indeed launch on December 6 as planned.
Elsewhere on Warp Zoned this week, we visited the Resident Evil 20th Anniversary Tour and tried out Resident Evil 7: Biohazard with PlayStation VR. We also sat down to review the excellent Pac-Man Championship Edition 2. And we updated our Big List of Nintendo Switch Games after Nintendo’s revealing trailer.
More news from this week can be found after the break.
New Game Announcements
- Even though The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and NBA 2K17 appeared in the Nintendo Switch’s “First Glimpse” trailer, Bethesda and 2K can’t officially say they’re in development.
- Image & Form, the developer behind the SteamWorld series, is working on a new game for the Nintendo Switch.
Pre-Launch Updates and Release Date Announcements
- Play “Zombie Mini Golf” with Dead Rising 4‘s Deluxe Edition or Season Pass.
- THQ Nordic delays the apocalypse and announced a new release date of November 22 for Darksiders: Warmastered Edition.
- Watch Dogs 2‘s PC launch was pushed back to November 29, but Ubisoft revealed the game’s System Requirements.
Other Game News
- Voice actors and stunt performers represented by the SAG-AFTRA union declared a strike against game developers.
- Sports ruled in September as NBA 2K17, Madden NFL 17, FIFA 17, and NHL 17 were the best-selling games during the month.
- Several dozens developers and publishers have pledged their support for the Nintendo Switch.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – “Risk,” “Revitalization,” “Weather,” and “Day/Night”
- Persona 5 – “The Protagonist”
- Several of the games that the SAG-AFTRA union is striking against are unannounced titles like Lego Marvel 2 and Brothers in Arms.
Rumor Has It
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 might be a “standalone reboot” that’ll launch exclusively for the Nintendo Switch in 2018.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: PlayStation VR, Gears of War 4, Dragon Quest Builders, more
- Nintendo Download: SteamWorld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Pirate Pop Plus, more
- PlayStation Store: Battlefield 1, Batman: Return to Arkham, Lego Harry Potter Collection, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Battlefield 1: Early Enlister Edition, Batman: Return to Arkham, Rock Band 4 Rivals, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Battlefield 1, The Jackbox Party Pack 3, Slain: Back From Hell, more
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Special Edition, more