No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
The Nintendo Switch Presentation finally happened and it was, at times, both a glorious trainwreck and completely glorious. It was quintessential Nintendo and it looks like the company has decided to further embrace their desire to get weird with their next console. Thankfully, all the best stuff was right up front, with confirmation that the Nintendo Switch will launch on March 3 for $299 and with no region lock on any of its games.
And finally, we published the first weekly essay looking at the history behind “The Scientifically Proven Best Video Games of All Time.” We starting right at the top with the #1 Best Video Game of All Time, Tetris, and examined the link between the puzzle game and motherly acceptance of the wider video game world.
More news from the past seven days, including complete coverage of the Nintendo Switch Presentation, can be found after the break.
Nintendo Switch Presentation
- Redout will bring futuristic racing to the Switch this Spring.
- Disgaea 5 Complete will be released for the Nintendo Switch this Spring.
- Sonic Mania is coming to the Nintendo Switch this Spring.
- Ubisoft will most likely release Just Dance 2017, Steep, and Rayman Legends for Switch on March 3.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is officially coming to the Switch.
- Nintendo announced two new Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Amiibo figures.
- Ultra Street Fighter II promises to be the final “re-release” of the popular fighting game with the addition of Evil Ryu and Violent Ken.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will also be released in a Special Edition and a Master Edition.
- Super Bomberman R will brings the beloved series back this March.
- Fire Emblem Warriors will slash its way to stores this Fall.
- Don’t panic… The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will indeed launch on March 3.
- More than 80 games are in development for the Switch including Minecraft, Ultra Street Fighter II, Super Bomberman R, and more.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will include a real Battle Mode when its released on April 28.
- What’s in the Nintendo Switch‘s box? We can show you.
- Super Mario Odyssey is an open world Mario game and it’ll be available this Fall.
- Stay Fresh with the announcement that Splatoon 2 is coming this Summer.
- Nintendo is developing a stretchy-armed boxing game known as Arms.
- Nintendo announced 1-2-Switch minigame collection.
- Everything you wanted to know about the JoyCon Controllers.
New Game Announcements
- WWE 2K17 will be released for the PC on February 7.
- Shovel Knight is officially coming to the Nintendo Switch and Yacht Club also announced plans to re-release the expansions as standalone games.
Pre-Launch Updates and Release Date Announcements
- Earthlock: Festival of Magic will be released for the PS4 on January 27.
- Thunder Lotus’s Sundered will be released in July 2017.
- Tetsuya Nomura said we’ll have to wait “a little longer” for the release of Final Fantasy VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts III.
- Microsoft officially canceled Platinum’s Scalebound.
Other Game News
- The Writers Guild of America announced the nominees for “Outstanding Achievement in Videogame Writing” at the 2017 WGA Awards
- The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences announced the nominees for the 2017 DICE Awards.
- Square Enix has shipped six million copies of Final Fantasy XV so far.
- Bethesda doesn’t have any plans to remake Oblivion or Morrowind and thinks of Skyrim Special Edition as a “one-off.”
- The 2017 Independent Games Festival Awards nominees have been announced.
- Valve is adding Xbox One/Xbox 360 controller support to every game on Steam.
- Someone remade Super Mario Land in Super Mario Maker and you can download all the levels right now.
- Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 is coming an end today, so look back at this Shovel Knight speedrun race, one of our favorites from the event.
- Joe Carnahan has finished the script to the Uncharted movie. Filming should begin sometime this year.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: None
- Nintendo Download: F-Zero X, Shift DX
- PlayStation Store: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone, Fatal Fury, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Nevermind, Acorn Assault: Rodent Revolution
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Pit People, Rise & Shine, Dead Effect 2, more
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Gravity Rush 2, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, Fate Extella The Umbral Star