No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
We’re in the home stretch now… Nintendo will release their Switch console/handheld hybrid later this week. The company has also decided to beef up the launch lineup by confirming that Snipperclips: Cut It Out Together, as well as Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, and FAST RMX will all be available to download for the Switch on March 3.
We’re also counting down to this year’s PAX East convention, especially now that the Indie Megabooth has announced they’ll have more than 80 games on display at the show.
Elsewhere on Warp Zoned this week, we looked at the unbelievable, and oftentimes ridiculous, origins of the Xbox in our latest Scientifically Proven Best Video Games of All Time essay, this time focusing on Halo: Combat Evolved.
You can find more news from this past week, including the announcement of a new Futurama game and another Injustice 2 trailer, after the break.
New Game Announcements
- Graveyard Keeper will bring medieval cemetery management to the PC and Xbox One in 2017.
- Matt Groening and David X. Cohen will help bring Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow to mobile devices.
- The retro-themed brawler Full Metal Furies will be out this year from Cellar Door Games.
- Square Enix tapped Tales Producer Hideo Baba to lead the development of Project Prelude Rune.
- NIS America will release Tokyo Tattoo Girls on the PS Vita and Steam in 2017.
Pre-Launch Updates and Release Date Announcements
- The Dragon Quest Heroes II “Explorer’s Edition” will be available for the PS4 and PC on April 25.
- Old Time Hockey will be released for PC, PS4 on March 28. An Xbox One and Switch launch will come later.
- Microsoft revealed that their “Epic 2017” will include Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Tacoma, Cuphead, and more.
- Chroma Squad will be available for PS4 and Xbox One this May.
- Gun Media released a quick glimpse at Tom Savini’s “Custom Jason” from Friday the 13th: The Game.
- Bethesda’s Todd Howard confirmed the developer has SEVEN projects in the works right now.
Other Game News
- Overwatch won “Game of the Year” (and three other awards) at the 2017 DICE Awards.
- BadLand Games will publish a retail edition of Axiom Verge this Summer. A Nintendo Switch re-release is also a possibility.
- Bandai Namco will release the DB Super Pack 2 and a Free Update for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 next week.
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End wins “Outstanding Achievement in Videogame Writing” from the Writer’s Guild of America.
- Activision Blizzard helps veterans with the Brass Personalization Pack for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.
Rumor Has It
- Telltale Games is hiring new developers for at least one unannounced project.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Halo Wars 2, Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
- Nintendo Download: Harvest Moon 64, Forma.8, more
- PlayStation Store: Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, Night in the Woods, Berserk and the Band of the Hawk, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Halo Wars 2, Zombie Vikings, Shift Happens, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Forma.8, Riptide GP: Renegade, World Heroes, more
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Nintendo Switch, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, more