It was rather surprising when Ubisoft announced that a new entry in the Assassin’s Creed franchise wouldn’t be released in 2016. But the publisher has roared back at Microsoft’s E3 Press Conference with Assassin’s Creed Origins, a brand new game that takes the storyline back to its very beginning.
Players will take control of Bayek, a protector of Egypt, and the first member of the Assassin’s Brotherhood:
Journey into Ancient Egypt, the most mysterious place in history, during a crucial period that will shape the world. Discover the secrets behind the Great Pyramids, forgotten myths, the last pharaohs, and – engraved in long-lost hieroglyphics – the origin story of the Assassin’s Brotherhood.
For the last four years, the team behind the acclaimed Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag has been focused on crafting a new beginning for the franchise. Fight in a completely new way where you transition seamlessly between unique ranged and melee weapons, and take on multiple enemies at once. Choose your Assassin skills while exploring the full country of Ancient Egypt, engaging in multiple quests and gripping stories along a journey that will change civilization.
Assassin’s Creed Origins will feature a new focus on action RPG mechanics, and players will be encouraged to level up Bayek’s abilities and craft new items for the tasks at hand:
Assassin’s Creed Origins Features
- Experience the Mysteries of Ancient Egypt – Uncover lost tombs, explore the Great Pyramids, and discover the secrets of mummies, the gods, and the last pharaohs.
- An Origin Story – Start here, at the very beginning, with the never-before-told origin story of Assassin’s Creed. You are Bayek, protector of Egypt, whose personal story will lead to the creation of the Assassin’s Brotherhood.
- Embrace Action-RPG – Experience a completely new way to fight as you loot and use a variety of weapons with different characteristics and rarities. Enjoy deep RPG progression mechanics, choose your preferred abilities, and challenge your skills against unique and powerful bosses.
- Each Quest is a Memorable Adventure – Pick and tackle quests at your own pace: each of them tells an intense and emotional story full of colorful characters and meaningful objectives.
- Explore a Full Country – From deserts to lush oases, from the Mediterranean Sea to the tombs of Giza, fight your way against dangerous factions and wild beasts as you explore this gigantic and unpredictable land.
Ubisoft has put together an extensive look at Assassin’s Creed’s new setting in a massive new post on the UbiBlog. A companion video, “Building An Empire,” is also available after the break.
Assassin’s Creed Origins will be released for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 27. Players who pre-order the game will receive access to a bonus mission, and two special editions will include even more content. The Deluxe Edition will a printed world map, the official soundtrack, and a variety of extra in-game content. The digital-only Gold Edition includes all the in-game content from the Deluxe Edition, as well as the game’s Season Pass.