We’re slightly less than three months away from the launch date for Square Enix’s Secret of Mana remake. The multiplayer action RPG was a smash hit on the Super NES all the way back in 1993, but the publisher is looking to make a few changes to the game ahead of its new-generation debut.
A quick rundown of those changes, including the additions of Interlude Episodes and a Game Log, appeared on the Square Enix Blog earlier today:
- Co-Op Multiplayer – one of the main things we’ve been asked since we announced the remake is whether or not co-op would return, and I’m glad to announce that yes, it will! The Secret of Mana remake will let you play offline multiplayer co-op with up to two other players, so get your friends together! If you’re playing the PlayStation Vita version then you can play ad-hoc multiplayer with up to two friends, each player will need a PS Vita as well as a copy of the game each.
- Multiplayer Update – we’re not just adding multiplayer, but actually improving it too – now when one player casts magic all other players will be able to continue playing, without having to wait.
- The Music – the Secret of Mana remake is going to come with a brand new rearranged soundtrack, but for those of you who loved the original (or just want a trip down memory lane) we’re going to include the soundtrack from the original game too, and most importantly, you’ll be able to switch between them whenever you like!
- Interlude Episodes – these are brand-new to the remake and show all-new scenes and interactions between Randi and the friends he meets on his adventure.
- Game Log – now you’ll be able to look back at Randi’s adventure to remind yourself of the story so far from the game log. If I don’t play a game for a few days I often forget what last happened, so I’m going to find this particularly useful and I hope you will too.
- Trophies/Achievements – if you want (and manage) to take on every challenge in Secret of Mana then you’ll probably want to be able to show off how well you’ve done, and now you’ll be able to!
The Secret of Mana remake will be available for the PC, PS4, and Vita on February 15.