Sony reconfirms 2016 release date for The Last Guardian as PS4 sells 6 million consoles during holiday season
Bayonetta and Corrin will be available to download for Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U this week; See them battle it out in a new trailer
Nintendo Download: Minecraft: Story Mode, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, SMB3 GBA, more
WB Games and TT Games will release Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens on June 28
New Releases: XCOM 2, Gravity Rush Remastered, Megadimension Neptunia VII, More
New Releases: Unravel, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles, Dying Light: The Following, More
The Games of February 2016
Daily Scoop: February 5, 2016 – Huge sale happening at Steam
New trailer shows off the enhancements added to Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Warpback: What We Played in January 2016
Most Recent: Wii
We’ve got a lot of ground to cover in this week’s new release report, so let’s get right to it…
Destiny’s “Year One” slate of content will come to a close as Activision and Bungie will release the last major update Destiny: The Taken King for the PS4, Xbox One, PS3, and Xbox 360. The expansion will add a variety of missions and tweaks to the team-based shooter, but the biggest is likely Nolan North’s replacement of Peter Dinklage.
Microsoft and Turn 10 will release their latest automotive simulator, Forza Motorsport 6, for the Xbox One. It astounds me that while Sony continues to struggle with DriveClub and the seemingly non-existent Gran Turismo 7, Microsoft has developed and published two critically-acclaimed Forza games.
If you’re looking for something for the kids, Activision will release Skylanders SuperChargers this week. The popular game franchise has a racing theme this time out for the Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and Xbox 360… and dozens of new Skylanders action figures have begun appearing on store shelves. A Dark Edition will also be released and a spinoff game, Skylanders SuperChargers Racing, will be available for the 3DS and Wii U (complete with an exclusive Skylanders/Amiibo hybrid figure for each platform).
To close out the week in new games, a pair of popular sports simulations will also be available. EA Sports will bring NHL 16 to the PS4 and Xbox One (and NHL: Legacy Edition to the PS3 and Xbox 360), while Konami will publish Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 for the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
Finally this week, a number of new console bundles will be released. Sony will launch a 500GB PS4 + Destiny: The Taken King Limited Edition Bundle, while Microsoft is prepping a 1TB Xbox One + Forza Motorsport 6 Limited Edition Bundle. Both feature custom case designs (the Forza Blue color scheme is particularly nifty), one controller, and bonus downloadable content for their respective games. A 1TB Xbox One + FIFA 16 Bundle will also be available, but it doesn’t feature a custom paint job.
More information on all of these games can be found after the break. (more…)
July is not typically a very strong month for new game releases, and only a single new title was able to crack the NPD Group’s recounting of the ten best-selling games of the month. But it was Lego Jurassic World, a June release, that sits at the top of the sales food chain this month.
Debuting at #3 in the NPD’s June report, Lego Jurassic World likely got a boost from the tremendous box office support for the film. After nearly nine weeks in theaters, the film has earned more than $636 million. Only Titanic ($658 million) and Avatar ($760 million) have made more money at the domestic box office.
While it’s unlikely that Lego Jurassic World will reach those heights, the game is another hit for WB Games, which had yet another big month in July. Batman: Arkham Knight (#2) and Mortal Kombat X (#8) once again both landed in the top ten.
The only new release to break into the top ten last month was EA’s Rory McIlroy PGA Tour. Before McIlroy, Tiger Woods had been PGA Tour’s pitchman for more than 15 years. As great as Tiger used to be, it looks like EA doesn’t need him to sell their golf game.
Finally this month, GamesIndustry.biz is reporting that overall sales of all game-related items (hardware, software, and accessories) is roughly even with July 2014. Both July 2014 and July 2015 produced around $184 million in total sales.
The complete top ten for July 2015 can be found after the break. (more…)
Ubisoft wants players to share their dancing with the world after they play Just Dance 2016. The new Showtime Mode will let players record themselves lip-syncing along to their favorites songs. After the song is over, Just Dance 2016 will create a shareable video for the world.
Showtime Mode will only be available on the PS4 (a PlayStation Camera is required), the Xbox One (a Kinect is required), and the Wii U (a Wii U GamePad is required, but that’s standard equipment for Wii U owners):
The new Showtime mode will allow players to unleash their inner star by creating unique music videos of themselves performing. Players lip-sync and perform along to hit songs in the game and the video footage is then turned into a fun shareable music video. The music videos pull in both creative visual elements and pop cultural references— each song will have a distinctive and visually original atmosphere.
Ubisoft also announced nine new tracks for Just Dance 2016 during this week’s Gamescom expo:
- Angry Birds – “Balkan Blast Remix”
- AronChupa – “I’m An Albatraoz”
- Britney Spears – “Circus”
- Ellie Goulding – “Lights”
- Iggy Azalea (Featuring Charli XCX) – “Fancy”
- The Lemon Cubes – “Boys (Summertime Love)”
- Pitbull (Featuring Chris Brown) – “Fun”
- Prince Royce – “Stuck On A Feeling”
- Shakira (Featuring El Cata) – “Rabiosa”
Just Dance 2016 will be released for the PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, and Xbox One on October 20.
UPDATE (8:15 PM): We’re in the final stretch of Amazon’s Prime Day 2015 festivities and another PS4 bundle is available to purchase. More deals will surely go live before midnight, but here’s what Prime members can pick up at a steep discount right now…
- 500GB PlayStation 4 Batman Arkham Knight Bundle + Final Fantasy Type-0 HD + 12 Months of PlayStation Plus – $399.99 (Ends at 12:10 PM)
- The Order: 1886 Premium Edition – $39.99 (Ends at 12:10 AM)
- The Voice With Microphone – $4.99 (Ends at 12:10 AM)
- Razer Kraken PRO Over Ear PC and Music Headset (Begins at 8:40 PM)
- Razer Naga Epic Rechargable Wireless MMO PC Gaming Mouse (Begins at 8:40 PM)
- Razer Tartarus Gaming Keypad (Begins at 8:40 PM)
UPDATE (7:10 PM): Prime Day 2015 is beginning to wind down (and some people aren’t entirely happy about what’s been offered), but Amazon is still posting new deals…
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Gold Edition for Xbox One – $35.00 (Ends at 9:10 PM)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Gold Edition for PS3/Xbox 360 – $25.00 (Ends at 9:10 PM)
- The Legend of Korra – $4.99 (Ends at 9:10 PM)
- Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark – $8.99 (Ends at 10:10 PM)
- PlayStation 4 Camera – $29.99 (Ends at 11:10 PM)
- Mortal Kombat X: Kollector’s Edition – $49.99 (Ends at 11:10 PM)
- AceShot Thumb Grips for Xbox One – $7.99 (Ends at 11:10 PM)
UPDATE (3:55 PM): Are you in the market for a 3DS? If you act fast, you can grab one as part of Amazon’s latest update to the Prime Day 2015 page. There’s a few other new deals of note too…
- New Nintendo 3DS XL + Charger Bundle – $195.99 (Ends at 5:10 PM)
- ASTRO Gaming A38 Wireless Headset – $119.99 (Ends at 7:10 PM)
- Corsair Vengeance M95 Performance MMO/RTS Laser Gaming Mouse – $54.99 (Ends at 7:40 PM)
Previous Prime Day deals, many still available by joining a waitlist, can be found after the break. (more…)
It’s a sad day today, as Nintendo has announced the death of President and CEO Satoru Iwata due to a bile duct growth. He was 55 years old.
“Nintendo Co. Ltd. deeply regrets to announce that President Satoru Iwata passed away on July 11, 2015 due to a bile duct growth,” was the company’s only statement to the public. In the hours since the news was released, Nintendo of America posted the following message to Twitter and Facebook: “In remembrance of Mr. Satoru Iwata, Nintendo will not be posting on our social media channels today.”
Iwata had been with Nintendo since the 1980s, starting out as a programmer at HAL Laboratory (where he worked on Balloon Fight and EarthBound, among others), before reaching the level of CEO in 2002. The executive also had a close relationship with Nintendo’s devoted fans. He regularly made appearances at industry events, hosted Nintendo’s monthly Nintendo Direct videos, and conducted Iwata Asks, a regular interview series in which he would talk to the developers of Nintendo’s games. Iwata had been battling this illness for several years, missing last year’s E3 Expo due to a surgery. But he made his final public appearance as part of this year’s Nintendo Digital Event @ E3 just last month.
Above all, Iwata was a principled man in an industry that’s dead set on nothing but making money and treating customers like cattle. When Nintendo failed to reach its financial projections in 2013, Iwata voluntarily cut his salary in half for the next five months.
There is no word yet who will be named Nintendo’s next President and CEO, though it will be extraordinarily difficult to replace a man like Iwata.
The 2015 San Diego Comic-Con kicks off tomorrow (with a Preview Night tonight), and Activision has announced the Dark Edition of Skylanders SuperChargers will make its debut during the show.
The Skylanders SuperChargers Dark Edition will include special variant figures with a “Dark” twist. Priced at $99.99, players who opt for the Dark Edition on the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, or Xbox One will receive figures figures (Dark Spitfire, Dark Hot Streak, Dark Super Shot Stealth Elf, Dark Sea Shadow), a two-sided collector’s poster, and the Kaos Trophy (which unlocks exclusive Kaos content).
But if you’re an Amiibo hunter, you’ll definitely want to keep an eye out for the Wii U’s Dark Edition. Also priced at $99.99, it’ll also include the Dark Spitfire and Dark Hot Streak figures, but the other two will be replaced by Dark Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Dark Barrel Blaster. And that’s not all… the Dark Edition for the Wii-exclusive Skylanders SuperChargers Racing will come packed with Dark Hammer Slam Bowser and Dark Clown Cruiser. Because of a Skylanders/Amiibo switch in the base, both Dark Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Dark Hammer Slam Bowser are considered official Amiibo figures by Nintendo.
Gamers who will be attending this week’s San Diego Comic-Con will get a chance to test out the Dark Edition characters on a Skylanders SuperChargers demo station at Activision’s booth (#121), the Xbox Lounge at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel, or at the Nintendo Game Lounge at the Marriott Marquis and Marina. Everyone else will have to make do with scoping out a few Dark Edition screenshots at the Activision Games Blog.
Don’t Forget! This is just a changelog of recently announced release dates. Warp Zoned’s complete Video Game Release Calendar includes every title we could find with a 2015, 2016, 2017, or unannounced release date.
This year’s E3 Expo was, by almost any measure, one of the biggest ever. It was so big that we’re still sorting through all the announcements, trailers, and gameplay demos. But time marches on and the Video Game Release Calendar Changelog must be updated. So in case you missed them, here’s a few important dates to circle on your calendar:
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is real and its spectacular. It’ll also be available on the Xbox One on August 25 and on the PC sometime in the future.
- Forza Motorsport 6 will race on to the Xbox One on September 15.
- Rock Band 4 and Guitar Hero Live will battle it out on October 6 and October 20, respectively.
- Fallout 4 will blow up the world on November 10.
- Just Cause 3 will blow up the world in a slightly different way on December 1.
- Xenoblade Chronicles X will make the Wii U a more RPG friendly place on December 4.
- Hitman is targeting a December 8 release on the PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
And that’s just games we can expect to see this year. Even more new release dates from this edition of the Video Game Release Calendar Changelog can be found after the break. (more…)
I’ve lost count of the exact number of titles in Ubisoft’s Just Dance series, but like clockwork, the publisher announced another one at this year’s E3 Expo. Just Dance 2016 will include more than 40 new songs when it launches on October 20, 13 of which were announced during the show:
- The Black Eyed Peas – “I Gotta Feeling”
- Buraka Som Sistema – “Hangover (BaBaBa)”
- Calvin Harris (Featuring John Newman) – “Blame”
- David Guetta (Featuring Nicki Minaj, Afrojack, and Bebe Rexha) – “Hey Mama”
- Equinox Stars – “Let’s Groove”
- Hatsune Miku – “Ievan Polkka”
- Jason Derulo – “Want to Want Me”
- Lady Gaga – “Born This Way”
- Mark Ronson (Featuring Bruno Mars) – “Uptown Funk”
- Martin Garrix – “Animals”
- MAX – “Gibberish”
- Meghan Trainor – “All About That Bass”
- Rossini – “William Tell – Overture”
For the first time, players will also be able to subscribe to Just Dance Unlimited, a service that will provide access to the “best tracks” from previous Just Dance games, as well as a variety of exclusive songs. Just Dance Unlimited will launch with more than 150 songs and more will be added to the service throughout the year. The subscription service will be available only on the PS4, Wii U, and Xbox One, alongside three new game modes:
- Dance Party Mode: In the Dance Party mode, players can dance along with their friends and family in the classic rival mode or dance together to get the highest collective score as a group in the first ever co-op mode.
- Dance Quests Mode: Players can unlock dance quests for a chance to “beat the game” for the first time ever. In each quest, players will play a series of three songs for a chance to advance to the next set of dance quest challenges.
- World Video Challenge: The all-new World Video Challenge allows players to send videos of their performances to challenge friends from all around the world and dance to their scores as if they were in the same room!
Just Dance 2016 is also keeping the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 alive as the game will be released for those platforms in addition to the PS4, Wii U, and Xbox One this October.