Warp Zoned Wish List: What We Want From the Resident Evil 2 Remake
Nintendo Download: Super Mario Maker For 3DS, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, more
Here's a 14-second teaser trailer for Gun Media's Friday the 13th: The Game
New Releases: Oculus Rift, MLB The Show 16, Resident Evil 6, More
Xbox Store Today: Killer Instinct Season 3, RBI Baseball 16, Resident Evil 6, more
The Games of December 2016
Daily Scoop: December 5, 2016 – Pico Games Bundle at Story Bundle
Housemarque teams up with Smash TV creator to announce Nex Machina
First Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite gameplay trailer introduces Captain America, Morrigan
Warpback: What We Played in November 2016
- Love Warp Zoned?
SUPPORT US HERE
All Articles: Silent Hills
Insert Quarter is our showcase for some of the best and most interesting writing about video games on the Internet.
Konami would prefer it if gamers everywhere just forgot about PT and the game it was promoting, Silent Hills. The publisher removed PT from the PlayStation Store in late April and then officially canceled Silent Hills a day later. Now, Konami has completely removed PT from Sony’s servers, preventing players from re-downloading the demo if they delete it from their PS4. Needless to say, fans are unhappy with Konami’s treatment of the franchise and the three men who were working to bring it back (Hideo Kojima, film director Guillermo Del Toro, and actor Norman Reedus).
Others, like Offworld’s Leigh Alexander, are lamenting the death of the Silent Hill franchise as we know it. Specifically the weird and off-kilter little town that was created by weird and off-kilter people. The Silent Hill series may continue, but it won’t be the same:
We just don’t have that anymore, now that video games make so much sense, so much business sense. They are so eloquently risk-averse, these days. For fear of needlessly glorifying a prior era, though, a couple of years ago I played through Silent Hill 2 again, to see how it ‘held up.’ I expected its quirks and flaws to loom large with time. I expected to be a little embarrassed at how much it had transported and impacted a younger me.
But somehow it was better and more beautiful.
And in a rare Insert Quarter two-fer, Polygon’s Nick Robinson looks into the efforts fans are going to to keep PT alive, including selling the game on eBay (actually, selling a PS4 console with the game installed on it). Robinson also muses on how Konami’s attempt to kill it has only made PT a bigger part of the conversation among gamers:
Of course, P.T. isn’t actually going anywhere; the game was downloaded over one million times, which means it’s backed up across over one million hard drives and SSDs in over one million PlayStation 4s all over the world. In reality, the game is not going to truly disappear — at least not until those hard drives start failing. But even then, Konami’s attempts to restrict access to P.T. are foolish, because copies will be made and encryption barriers will be broken. The coolest part, though, isn’t just that Konami failed — it’s how spectacularly the company’s plan has backfired.
Konami has issued a statement on the future of Silent Hills to GamesRadar and it seems to corroborate all our worst fears.
First, Konami confirmed that Norman Reedus will no longer be involved with the game. In a statement, the publisher said their contract with the actor had expired. Possibly related to Reedus’s departure, Konami also stated the “distribution period” of PT had expired. The “Playable Teaser” was added to the PlayStation Store last year, and is scheduled to be delisted this week.
The Silent Hills project has likely been canceled as Konami made no specific mention of the future of the project in their statement. Though they were quick to clarify that “the Silent Hill series” will continue.
Director Guillermo Del Toro, who would have collaborated with Hideo Kojima on the game, was disappointed by this news. Yesterday, he told an audience at the San Francisco Film Festival that Silent Hills featured “truly cutting edge stuff” and that it was being designed to “[****] with your brain really bad.”
So, to recap, Silent Hills is dead and an unrelated Silent Hill 7 will probably soon enter production.
UPDATE: Konami revealed to Game Informer that Silent Hills has officially been canceled: “Also, in response to what Del Toro said during the Q&A, Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic Silent Hills project developed with Guillermo Del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued.”
Last night, the San Francisco Film Society presented Guillermo Del Toro with the Irving M. Levin Directing Award for 2001’s The Devil’s Backbone. Del Toro spoke took the stange afterwards and, in addition to talking about his illustrious film career, confirmed that he is no longer involved with the development of Silent Hills. According to photojournalist Matt Hackney: Del Toro said, “It’s not gonna happen and that breaks my greasy heart.”
While it sounds like the game has been canceled, IGN is reporting that Del Toro’s representatives are stressing that only the director’s involvement with the game has ended. They said the decision to cancel or continue with Silent Hills ultimately rests with Konami, and the publisher hasn’t made an official statement on the game’s status since its announcement.
However, this news comes just a few days after Konami announced (via the game’s official website) that PT, a “Playable Teaser” of Silent Hills that was added to the PlayStation Store last year, would no longer be available to download as of this Wednesday, April 29. The removal of PT from the PlayStation Store and the probable cancellation of Silent Hills also lends more credibility to the rumors that Hideo Kojima will leave Konami after the completion of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Though, again, all of that is technically in the realm of speculation.
Del Toro has been trying to break into the video game industry for over a decade now without much luck. In 2010, he teamed up with THQ to produce Insane, a horror game with Lovecraftian influences. THQ canceled Insane in 2012, but the director retained the rights to the game, so something could still happen with it someday. The same can’t be said for Sundown, a zombie game in development at Terminal Reality that was permanently canceled in 2006.
UPDATE: Norman Reedus, who was all set to star in Silent Hills, said on Twitter that Silent Hills is as good as dead. While we still haven’t heard official word from Konami, I think it’s safe to say the game has been canceled.
With the PS4 and Xbox One entering their first full year on store shelves, 2014 turned out to be a bit of a transition year. A lot of games were delayed into 2015 and a few others were delayed even further. With the other two consolemakers taking a step back in 2014, it was Nintendo’s time to shine and the wizards behind the Wii U responded with nearly a dozen major titles. But that doesn’t mean the PS4 and the Xbox One (or the PS3 and Xbox 360, for that matter) went hungry in 2014.
There were plenty of great games to go around last year and you can read all about them as we hand out our annual Golden Pixel Awards… (more…)
If Hideo Kojima wasn’t already considered the Clown Prince of Game Development, he’s certainly earned that title now. Yesterday, Sony uploaded P.T., an “interactive teaser” for a horror game from unknown developer 7780s Studio, to the PlayStation Store. But once players reached the end of the demo, they were in for a massive surprise… P.T. is actually a teaser for Silent Hills, a reboot of the long-running horror franchise produced by Hideo Kojima at his Kojima Productions studio with director Guillermo Del Toro serving as a consultant.
Silent Hills will star Norman Reedus (Daryl from The Walking Dead) and it’s in development for the PS4 (and possibly other platforms). That’s about all we know at this point, but hopefully an official announcement from Sony or Konami will clear things up a little more.
Here we go again. According to a new post on his Twitter feed, developers within Hideo Kojima’s Kojima Productions are working on a brand new “SUPER CONFIDENTIAL PROJECT.”
Kojima Production SUPER CONFIDENTIAL PROJECT's experiment presentation & meeting. pic.twitter.com/as2p3OycWZ
— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) January 7, 2014
With Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain already in development, it’s probably safe to say that this “SUPER CONFIDENTIAL PROJECT” isn’t Metal Gear-related. Nor is it likely connected with Zone of the Enders 3, which was canceled last year.
But maybe, just maybe, Kojima and company are up to something new.