Shigeru Miyamoto confirms that Pikmin 4 is in development
The Path Our Enemy Forges: Shadow of Mordor and Mimetic Desire
New Releases: Super Smash Bros Wii U, Far Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto V PS4/Xbox One, More
New Releases: PS4, XCOM: Enemy Within, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, More
GTA5, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and many many more added to PS Store
Xbox Store Today: Thomas Was Alone, Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Daily Scoop: November 21, 2014 – Pokemon day!
Nominees for the 2014 Game Awards have been announced
Daily Scoop: November 20, 2014 – New bundles!
Nintendo Download: Smash Bros Wii U, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Watch Dogs, more
Recent Articles: Starhawk
Even if there were replacement referees judging a contest between the PlayStation Store, the Xbox Live Marketplace, and the Wii Shop, Sony would come out way ahead. And they proved why again today by dumping a massive quantity of quality games onto the PlayStation Store. All told, 17 new games are now available on the download service, and here’s a few highlights, starting with one of the greatest games of all time:
- After a slight delay, Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto III joins the store as part of the PS2 Classics line.
- FIFA Soccer 13 corner kicks its way onto the store in three different versions (PS3, PSP, and Vita).
- It’s the end of the world as we know it, but the animals found in the Tokyo Jungle (PSN) are cool with that.
- The futuristic Starhawk (PS3) is now available to download in both a full version and a special multiplayer only edition.
- EA’s underappreciated classic, Mirror’s Edge (PS3), is also available to download.
- A pair of fighting games, Marvel vs. Capcom: Origins (PSN) and Dead or Alive 5 (PS3) will battle it out for your affections.
- The absolutely insane Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit would make a hell of a download.
- And LittleBigPlanet PS Vita is now available to download, wait for it, on the PS Vita.
In just one more week this seemingly never-ending Spring drought will be over. But until then, there’s still one big release to talk about this week and it’s Starhawk, Sony’s spacefaring spiritual sequel to Warhawk.
Also available this week is a quartet of PC games: Warlock: Master of the Arcane, a turn-based strategy game; Nexuiz, a team-based first person shooter that was originally due out last week; Nancy Drew: Tomb of the Lost Queen, the latest game starring everyone’s favorite sleuth; and House of 1,000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster, an adventure game.
Starhawk is an upcoming third-person shooter set to be released on May 8. This PlayStation 3 exclusive is the spiritual successor to Warhawk, a multiplayer-only third-person shooter from 2007. Starhawk is being developed by LightBox Interactive, which is composed of several former members of Warhawk developer Incognito Entertainment. Starhawk aims to be like Warhawk, except in space, and with an included single player campaign. Will Starhawk be able to bring everything together and exceed what Warhawk was? (more…)
With the public beta scheduled to begin today, Sony thought this was the perfect time to announce that Starhawk will be available in stores on May 8.
If you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber, you’re beta ticket has been punched (others will be able to join in the weeks ahead). But before you download it, Sony wants to say “Welcome!” with a quick beta primer video at the PlayStation Blog.
Sony plans to bring the futuristic warfare of Starhawk to as many PS3 owners as possible in the first few months of 2012 with a massive multiplayer beta. And if you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber, that window of opportunity will open in just three days!
Not a PS Plus user? Here’s a look at the complete North American Starhawk beta schedule:
- January 17: All PlayStation Plus subscribers and all Private Beta participants (who haven’t erased their original Private Beta files).
- January 31: Uncharted 3 beta key holders. These voucher codes were found inside of North American copies of Uncharted 3.
- February 7: Visit GameStop and PlayStation on Facebook and see how you can get early voucher codes.
- February 14: IGN.com readers (details to be revealed soon).
- February 21: Everyone with a PlayStation Network account.
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception has gone gold and is all set for its November 1, 2011 release date. If this news wasn’t enough to elate PlayStation fans, Sony has announced that all copies of Uncharted 3 will include early access codes for the Starhawk public beta.
Starhawk is a third-person shooter from the creators of Warhawk that takes place in a future in which “humanity’s last hope lies in the lawless frontier of space where factions battle over the universe’s most precious resource, Rift Energy.” It promises 32-player online combat on foot and in vehicles, as well as a “Build & Battle” system for more tactical options.
The beta will take place sometime in early 2012. Sony has promised that more details will be available at StarhawkTheGame.com soon.
From everything I’ve read, I’m expecting the game to be the “Firefly”/Battlefield crossover of my dreams. So if you want early access to that brand of awesomeness, pick up a copy of Uncharted 3 and get your voucher!
The latest “worst kept secret in gaming” debuted on GameTrailers TV last night as LightBox Interactive wowed gamers with Starhawk for the PS3. Rumors of the Warhawk sequel first emerged back in 2009, so it’s safe to say that Lightbox has been working on Starhawk for a long time.
As expected, Starhawk looks an awful lot like Warhawk in space, specifically a planet teeming with “Rift Energy” called The Frontier. Rift Energy is a hugely powerful substance, but it is also highly toxic and can infect you with a mysterious disease if you’re careful. This backstory leads into a battle between the “Rift Miners” and “The Outcasts” over Rift Energy that features futuristic weaponry and transforming fighter jets. You might say there’s more than meets the eye to the game’s setting.
The GTTV reveal was light on the details (presumably we’ll learn more at E3 next month), but we do we have the first five screenshots, which you can find after the break. (more…)