Most Recent: Articles

Rumor: Nintendo’s “new business structure” is a hybrid console/handheld codenamed Fusion

nintendologo

Nintendo didn’t do so hot in 2013. Their sales projections for the Wii U were way off and the subsequent stock drop caused every gamer with an opinion to scream that the company’s fate is written on the walls in Mario’s blood. It also lead to wild (and often baseless) theories and rumours speculating what the future of the company holds. Especially after President Satoru Iwata told shareholders about Nintendo’s “new business structure”:

“We are thinking about a new business structure. Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It’s not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone.”

One particularly insane theory has emerged thanks to a report published on Gamin Realm a few weeks ago pertaining to Nintendo’s next home console. Considering the level of detail that their “inside source” was able to deliver, it is either too specific to be fiction or too insane to be real.

The anonymous report claims that Nintendo’s next console will is codenamed “Fusion,” which is certainly a lot better than Dolphin, and might even carry that name after it is released. The “Fusion” name is a clever bit of wordplay because Gamin Realm’s source states that the machine will merge the home console and handheld markets into one device. A similar device was suggested by GamesIndustry International last week, though it seems to have been written without any knowledge of Gamin Realm’s report.

The report includes a barrage of technical info, but essentially, the Fusion’s GPU is said to be capable of four times the number of teraflops as the PS4, while the CPU would be based on IBM’s POWER series, which in theory could mean backwards compatibility for Wii and Wii U titles. As well as supporting four “Fusion DS” handheld units, the machine would be backwards compatible with the Wii U’s GamePad. And not only would it be 4K-compatible, but it would also be available in two models: A 60 GB version with a Holographic Versatile Disc drive or a 300 GB version without a disc drive.

While it sounds like fan fiction and should be read while swimming in a lorry full of salt, it also sounds remarkably Nintendo-esque. The Fusion DS screen would still be sub-HD with a 960×640 DVGA capacitive touchscreen. Those in power at Nintendo have often commented that work on a new machine starts one year after the launch of the last, but this seems to be jumping the gun, even with the sad state of the Wii U. However, while Microsoft and Sony are busy slugging it out in the long term, with both companies betting on Cloud computing to elongate the next-gen’s life span, Nintendo could easily launch a new console within four years. The GameCube, which the Wii U resembles in projected sales figures, had a five year run before the Wii emerged.

Whether it is an actual leak of a possible design or just some blogger’s big lie, the predicted specs of the Nintendo Fusion can be found after the break. (more…)

Posted in News, Switch |

Earth Defense Force 2025 goes to war on February 18

earthdefenseforce2025-header

The bugs return to Earth next month as D3 Publisher has announced that Earth Defense Force 2025 will be released for the PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 18. Are you ready?

In addition to all the futuristic soldier versus giant bug action of the main game, D3 plans to release three downloadable mission packs in the weeks following EDF 2025’s release:

  • Special Ops – Will feature 5 new missions ($2.99 – Available February 18)
  • Mutant Rampage – Will feature 20 new missions ($8.99 – Available February 25)
  • Beyond Despair – Will feature 20 new missions ($8.99 – Available March 11)

The three mission packs will also be available in a “Season Pass” bundle.

Posted in News, PS3, Xbox 360 | Tagged

Daily Scoop: January 21, 2014 – Crazy snow edition

So I’m not sure about where you are right now, but Philadelphia is covered in snow. And despite the fact that the Internet has been telling us about this snow for days, the city was not prepared at all and is a complete mess. There’s been no salt, no plowing, and lots and lots of sirens. I even got sent home early. Excite!

Anyway, in case you’re snowed in and want some games, Amazon’s Editor’s Choice Deals are going until January 31st. In case you’re looking for some Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag sales, there are some of those, too. It’s $29.99 for the game on PC, PS3, Wii U, and Xbox 360, while the Limited Edition is $99.99.

And now, it’s t-shirt time! (more…)

Posted in Daily Scoop, Etcetera, News |

Dead Rising 3: Operation Broken Eagle available today

Dead Rising 3‘s first expansion, “Operation Broken Eagle,” will be available to download through the Xbox Live Store sometime today. To get players excited about the adventures of Commander Kane, a Spec Ops soldier in search of the US President, Capcom and Microsoft have released a brand new trailer for “Operation Broken Eagle,” which you can view above.

Operation Broken Eagle is the first of four “Untold Stories of Los Perdidos” that will be available for Dead Rising 3. They will be available as part of the Dead Rising 3 Season (priced at $29.99) or you can get them singly for $9.99.

Posted in News, Xbox One | Tagged

Former Infinity Ward devs launch Kickstarter campaign for side-scroller To the Death

tothedeath-header

Scary Mostro is a new development team that’s lead by Todd Alderman and Franceso Gigliotti, both formerly of Infinity Ward and Respawn Entertainment. They’ve teamed up with Cecil Kim and Justin Yun of Section Studios (who previously worked with Sony Santa Monica on God of War) to bring you To the Death, a side-scrolling brawler/shooter for PC platforms. The developers have just launched a Kickstarter campaign for To the Death and they are seeking $400,000 to make the game a reality.

To the Death will follow a pair of warriors who have fought… wait for it… to the death. In the afterlife known as “The Crawl” they continue their battle by blowing through wave after wave of enemies until they can meet in the middle for a futuristic duel featuring an arsenal of guns and swords.

In addition to a traditional two-player co-op mode, To the Death will feature a unique splitscreen head-to-head mode where each warrior will play through the single-player game separately before meeting at the final boss (and then a final duel… to the death). The developers believe that this head-to-head mode will allow each player to track what powerups the other is using and tailor their strategy accordingly.

If all goes well, Scary Mostro and Section expect to release To the Death for the PC, Mac, and Linux in May 2015. And if they receive over $750,000 in pledges, they plan to produce a PS4 and Vita version as well. Good luck gentlemen.

Posted in News, PC, PS4, Vita |

Candy Crush Saga maker has trademarked the word “candy”

candycrushsaga-logoAre you secretly Brucer Banner (AKA The Incredible Hulk)? If so, you may want to skip this article as it will make you angry, very angry. And I don’t want any reason not to like you.

King, the publisher behind the massively popular Candy Crush Saga, has trademarked the word “candy.” They don’t own all rights to the word “candy.” You can still go to your local grocery store and ask the shopkeep for a big bag of candy. And you can still joke about how something is easier than taking candy from a baby. A huge proportion of this country’s strippers will also not have to change their stage names.

Sadly, King’s trademark covers practically everything else.

According to US Patent and Trademark Office, King’s trademark covers hundreds of items including “video game software,” “spectacles cases,” clothing of all kinds, “amusement parks,” all educational services or workshops, and “downloadable music files.” They actually believe that anyone that uses the word “candy” in a music file should have to pay them a royalty fee. And just in case you thought you were safe across the Atlantic, the publisher has also been granted a trademark on the word “candy” by the European Union’s Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (Trade Marks and Designs) as well.

Surprisingly, few games actually use the word “candy” in their title, but according to Gamezebo, King has already sent cease and desist orders to those that do on the iOS App Store.

However, King’s victory (if you can call it that) is likely to be short-lived. According to the USPTO, their trademark has been approved, but not yet been published for opposition. And when it is, I imagine that the makers of Candy Land (which was first published in 1945) will have a problem with it. As they, and we all, should.

Posted in Mobile, News, PC | Tagged

Daily Scoop: January 20, 2014 – Last day for big PSN sales

I’m not sure if you heard about the amazing sales on the PlayStation Network, but you only have one more day to get in on the deals. Crysis 3 and Enslaved are $5, while Killzone Mercenary is $9, and there are even some cross-buy games, like Spelunky, that are $3.75.

You’ve also got just one more day to get the Humble Indie Bundle X. Pay the average for To the Moon, Joe Danger 2: The Movie, Papa & Yo, and Runner 2. Pay more than the average to unlock Hoard, Strike Suit Zero, Toki Tori 2+, Reus, and Surgeon Simulator 2013.

There are also some great sales happening at Steam and Amazon. Steam has Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP for $1.59 and Spec Ops: The Line is $7.49. Amazon has some great Digital Deals, including Dead Space 3 for $9.99 and Dead Space 3: Awakened for $8.49.

Whew, that’s a lot of deals. For t-shirts, hit the break! (more…)

Posted in Daily Scoop, Etcetera, News |

Here’s how to enable “Retro Mode” in Broken Age

It seems everyone has forgotten how mad they are at Double Fine, because since the first half of Broken Age came out, all the Internet has talked about is how much they love it… and how to unlock the Easter Egg that will make the game look like a classic adventure game of old. The video above gives you a walkthrough of how to 8-bit this lovely game.

Backers of the Kickstarter are already running around the world joyously, but regular people can’t play it until January 28th. You can pre-order the game on Steam now for $22.49 (10% off).

Posted in News, PC | Tagged