No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
Get Warp Zoned!
Mike Gutierrez, Nicole Kline, and Ryan Littlefield are joined by West Coast Editor Adam Woolcott for a lively discussion during Episode 5 of the Warp Zoned Podcast. They discuss what they’re playing, focusing on Killzone 3 and Radiant Historia, as well as the continued discussion of – what else? – Pokemon! They also talk about what’s coming out over the next few weeks, and encourage you to read their article about what they’re excited about.
But what about other gamers? What do they get excited about? We studied the different types of gamers out there in an in-depth report imaginatively titled Gamer Types.
Finally, the Lego Star Wars series will jump
to lightspeed back into stores this month after a six-year hiatus. We examined every brick in a hands-on preview of Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars.
Hit the jump for the rest of the Weekly Warp-Up.
The Week in Reviews…
The Week in New Games…
- This Week’s Releases: Pokemon Black/White, Fight Night Champion, Rift and more
- This Week’s Nintendo Download: Bit.Trip Flux and more
- This Week’s PlayStation Network Update: PixelJunk Shooter 2, Vagrant Story and more
- This Week’s XBLA Wednesday: Beyond Good & Evil HD
- Next Week’s Releases: Dragon Age II, MLB 11: The Show, Major League Baseball 2K11 and more
Amazing Paperboy Delivers (the Week’s News)…
A lot of Game Developers Conference discussion in this week’s news.
- Apple unveiled the iPad 2.
- THQ has beaten Rockstar to the punch by announcing Saints Row: The Third. You know Grand Theft Auto V is in the works, so just announce it already Rockstar.
- Big beta details on Gears of War 3 and SOCOM 4.
- EA has announced that Alice: Madness Returns and Shadows of the Damned will be released in June.
- EA also released the first extended look at Battlefield 3. Initial verdict: It’s gonna be awesome.
- Atlus confirmed that Catherine will be coming to America and they’ve released the first English trailer.
- Red Dead Redemption won Game of the Year at the Game Developers Choice Awards while Minecraft took home Independent Games Festival honors.
- Duke Nukem Forever has some competition, Croteam has announced Serious Sam 3 will be released this Summer.
- Tecmo Koei unveiled the first teaser trailer for Ninja Gaiden III and promised more information would sneak out of the shadows at E3.
- I’ll bet you’re shocked, but the entire first shipment of 3DS systems has sold out in Japan.
- It should also come as no surprise that Nintendo officially announced Super Mario Bros. 3DS.
- A Crysis 2 demo has taken PC players by storm this week.
- The University of Southern California has the best undergrad and graduate Video Game Design programs.
At the Movies
A lot of movie adaptation news screened for us this week including:
- “Find Makarov” countdown had nothing to do with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Instead, it was the product of a group making an awesome (and unofficial) Modern Warfare live action film.
- Milla Jovovich is strapping on her twin guns once more for Resident Evil 5.
- Devil May Cry will slash its way onto the big screen.
It’s a Secret to Everybody…
- We thought we heard Bungie’s David Aldridge confirm that the first game in their unnamed New Universe would be an MMO. But apparently, he was joking.
Irish indie rocker Big Monster Love loves Sonic the Hedgehog. He loves him so much that the sneakered speedster actually influenced the video for his song “Free Gaff Forever.” Good tune too.