Even though his stance said, “stop,” Richard Sherman took it to the house as the cover athlete of Madden NFL 15. While it’s too early to be concerned with The Curse, EA Sports’ latest football sim, as expected, toppled the competition and emerged as the best-selling game of August 2014, according to The NPD Group.
Only a small number of new releases made their way onto store shelves last month and many of them were re-releases of older titles. This tactic helped Diablo III: Reaper of Souls reach the #2 spot as the “Ultimate Evil Edition” is now available for previous-generation and current-generation consoles. And thanks to its PlayStation debut, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare cracked the top ten for the first time at #7.
Joystiq posits that this lack of major releases is the reason why game sales were down when compared to last August. The eighth month of 2013 saw the release of Madden NFL 25 as well as Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Saints Row IV, and Disney Infinity.
A full look at the top ten best-selling games of August 2014 can be found after the break.
Bestselling Games in August 2014
1. Madden NFL 15 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3)
2. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
3. Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3)
4. The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
5. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC, Wii U)
6. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, 3DS, DS, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
7. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One)
8. Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
9. Battlefield 4 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
10. The Lego Movie (Xbox 360, 3DS, PS3, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Vita)