Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and as a result, Gears of War 4 players will be treated to a slew of updates including new maps, Valentine’s Day-themed events, and general game improvements.
The Gears of War 4 Valentine’s Day event officially begins this Friday, February 10, and will last for over a week. The event will include Torque Bow Tag “with a cupid-style twist,” a new collectible Craftable Character, new Gear Packs, and daily bounties with a Valentine’s Day theme.
Also included in the February update are two new maps that veteran Gears of War fans are sure to appreciate! The first new map on the list is “Impact Dark,” an intense new spin on the original “Impact” map. “Impact Dark” takes close combat to thrilling new levels, putting heavy emphasis on visual impairment by implementing a permanently smoke-covered battlefield! Snipers, Torque/EMBAR, and Incendiaries are gone, now replaced with Boltoks, Dropshot, and Overkill respectively, forcing players to stay alert and take risks in order to stay in the game.
The second map provided in the update is “War Machine,” which veteran Gears of War players may remember for its desolate and decrepit atmosphere. The new take on the “War Machine” map brings players to a gorgeous and lively COG settlement in the once abandoned train station. However, aside from the new aesthetic, everything else about the map remains the same. Season Pass holders will be glad to know that they can play both maps today in the Developer Playlist.
The Coalition highlighted a few additional gameplay improvements from the February Update on the game’s official website:
- Added a small delay before being able to fire when Wall Cancelling (now balanced with Wall Bounce firing delay)
- New Guardian Spawn System: Players will now spawn closer to the Leader
- Added IFF Lights onto Dizzy to bring visual readability of his model in-line with all other characters
- Torque Bow now rotates with Sniper every round on Blood Drive
- Resolved an issue that could cause the Kestral to be stuck out of sight on Blood Drive
- Resolved minor geometry on Blood Drive that could block bullets
- Improved messaging for Core/Competitive rejoin when trying to rejoin after rejoin window ends
- Incendiary grenades now kill Down But Not Out players with Execution Rules On
- Previous map high score will now display on end of round scoreboards in Horde
- The Trick Shot ribbon is now correctly awarded in Horde
- The Sniper Strike Horde Skill card no longer counts towards Headshot Bounties
Gears of War 4 is available to purchase now for the PC and Xbox One, and you can get a closer look at both new maps after the break.