Nintendo has begun preparing fans for the April 28th launch of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with the release of a brand new “Overview Trailer,” as well as more details about its new Battle Mode.
Every racer and course from the original Mario Kart 8 (including the content from both downloadable expansions) will be carried over to Deluxe, but the racing game’s Switch debut will also include five new characters (Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy, King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr.), the ability to hold two items at once, returning items like the item-stealing Boo and jumping Feather, a Smart Steering control option, and five ways to play the revamped Battle Mode:
Battle Modes Available in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Renegade Roundup: Making its debut in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, this new mode has one team trying to capture the other and put them into jail before time runs out. The opposing team must try to escape and can break their own teammates out of prison by pressing a button under the jail cell.
- Balloon Battle: In this oldie but goodie, players earn points by popping balloons on the back of their opponents’ karts.
- Bob-Omb Blast: Originally seen in the Mario Kart: Double Dash!! game, this mode finds players throwing a barrage of Bob-Ombs at opponents.
- Coin Runners: By racing across the Battle course, players try to collect the most coins as possible in this fast and frenetic mode introduced in Mario Kart Wii.
- Shine Thief: Steal the coveted Shine Sprite and try to hold onto it for a 20 count in this classic multiplayer Battle mode.
And if you’re in Boston for this weekend’s PAX East convention, you’ll be able to try out a demo of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe if you visit Nintendo’s booth.