THQ Nordic (back when they were still known as Nordic Games) confirmed that Darksiders III was in development nearly three years ago. The continuation of Vigil’s apocalyptic saga was always a high priority for the publishing company, but they wanted to do it right, and even released a Deathinitive Edition of Darksiders II and a Warmastered Edition of the original Darksiders for current-generation platforms.
But since then, the publisher hasn’t been in any rush to make further announcements about the sequel… so I guess Amazon has to do it for them.
This morning, a listing for Darksiders III appeared on the retailer’s site for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One. But rather than post a simple placeholder page, Amazon revealed a full plot description for the game:
Return to an apocalyptic Earth in Darksiders III, a hack-n-slash Action Adventure where players assume the role of FURY in her quest to hunt down and dispose of the Seven Deadly Sins. The most unpredictable and enigmatic of the Four Horsemen, FURY must succeed where many have failed – to bring balance to the forces that now ravage Earth. Darksiders III is the long-anticipated, third chapter in the critically-acclaimed Darksiders franchise.
A feature list, detailing Fury’s powers and her primary opponent, was also revealed:
- Play as FURY – a mage who must rely on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth!
- Harness FURY’s magic to unleash her various forms – each granting her access to new weapons, moves and traversal abilities
- Explore an open-ended, living, free-form game world in which FURY moves back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the story
- Defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and their servants who range from mystical creatures to degenerated beings
- Darksiders signature art style – expansive post-apocalyptic environments that take the player from the heights of heaven to the depths of hell, dilapidated by war and decay and overrun by nature
Finally, the Amazon listing teases Gunfire Games as the developer. You may not have ever heard of Gunfire, but they helped THQ Nordic develop the Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition, and they’re one of the many teams to emerge from the ashes of Vigil.
Unless this is a massively well done hoax, I think THQ Nordic will officially unveil Darksiders III any day now (or possibly at this year’s E3 Expo). In the meantime, you can view a batch of leaked screenshots and concept art after the break.