No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
Gather round children as I regale you with tales from what I like to call Nostalgia Week. It all started on Monday when Sony released the PlayStation’s “Official Holiday 2015” commercial for Star Wars: Battlefront. If you’ve ever swung around a plastic Lightsaber while making “whuh whuh” noises, this commercial will hit you right in the heart. With the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer following soon after, it’s a good time to love the galaxy far, far away.
After that it was time to pay a visit to the 8-Bit Cinema guys to witness their adaptation of Mad Max: Fury Road as a side-scrolling brawler. It’s very possible The Force Awakens will unseat Fury Road as my favorite movie of the year, but nothing can take away the sheer inventiveness of a movie-long chase… on the big screen or in eight bits.
October 21, 2015 was “Back to the Future Day” (the day Marty traveled to in 1989’s Back to the Future Part II) and things did not turn out as well for the Cubs in real life as it did in the film. Sorry Bleacher Bums, maybe you’ll get a shot in another 30 years. Elsewhere on Wednesday, we learned that the Super Mario Bros. world record had been shattered… by 0.063 seconds. Hey, a record’s a record.
Finally, our own Mike Ryan closed out the week with a review of I Am Bread. I don’t know if anyone is particularly nostalgic about bread, but you never know.
More news from the week that was can be found after the break.
- Sony confirms a partial list of AAA publishers and indie games that will be coming to the 2015 PlayStation Experience.
- A rash of bugs found in Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 has caused Activision to delay the PS3/Xbox 360 version.
- The final episode in Telltale’s Game of Thrones adaptation will be released on November 17.
- NBA 2K16 and Madden NFL 16 were the best-selling games of September 2015.
- The Aerosmith Hits Pack 02 is now available to download for Rock Band 4.
New Release Round-Up
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Guitar Hero Live, Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, more
- Nintendo Download: The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, Just Dance 2016, more
- PlayStation Store: Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, Tales From the Borderlands: The Vault of the Traveler, Life Is Strange: Polarized, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Tales From the Borderlands: The Vault of the Traveler, Life Is Strange: Polarized, Just Dance 2016, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, Layers of Fear, Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Halo 5: Guardians, WWE 2K16, Minecraft: Story Mode, more