Warp Zoned Is Hiring!
APPLY HERE NOW
Activision confirms Skylanders 5, Call of Duty 2015, "unannounced initiatives" during quarterly presentation
Video Game Release Calendar Changelog #4: The 2015 Calendar is Taking Shape
Shigeru Miyamoto confirms that Pikmin 4 is in development
Director of Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS wants to create as many DLC characters as possible
NBA 2K15 says the Golden State Warriors will win this year's NBA Championship
Rumor: Gears of War remake developed by Splash Damage coming to Xbox One
Konami is non-committal on Silent Hills but says “We will continue to develop series”
CoD: Black Ops 3 “World Reveal” trailer is here… 11/6 release, pre-order beta confirmed
Guillermo Del Toro and Norman Reedus no longer involved with Silent Hills
Weekly Warp-Up: Pre-Pre-E3 2015 Edition
Most Recent: PS4
Konami has issued a statement on the future of Silent Hills to GamesRadar and it seems to corroborate all our worst fears.
First, Konami confirmed that Norman Reedus will no longer be involved with the game. In a statement, the publisher said their contract with the actor had expired. Possibly related to Reedus’s departure, Konami also stated the “distribution period” of PT had expired. The “Playable Teaser” was added to the PlayStation Store last year, and is scheduled to be delisted this week.
The Silent Hills project has likely been canceled as Konami made no specific mention of the future of the project in their statement. Though they were quick to clarify that “the Silent Hill series” will continue.
Director Guillermo Del Toro, who would have collaborated with Hideo Kojima on the game, was disappointed by this news. Yesterday, he told an audience at the San Francisco Film Festival that Silent Hills featured “truly cutting edge stuff” and that it was being designed to “[****] with your brain really bad.”
So, to recap, Silent Hills is dead and an unrelated Silent Hill 7 will probably soon enter production.
Call of Duty: Black Ops III‘s “World Reveal” gameplay trailer is now available for all to watch and we certainly know more about the game now than we did a week ago. For starters, the rumors from Friday are true. Black Ops III will indeed launch on Friday, November 6 for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One, and those who pre-order the game will receive access to a multiplayer beta test. This doesn’t mean the game won’t be released for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but Activision only wants to talk about the current-generation version today.
So what does Treyarch have in store for this far-future sequel? First of all, Black Ops III will bring a four-player cooperative campaign to the franchise for the first time. Players will also be able to augment their soldiers with a variety of futuristic tech and do battle with a army of
Terminators killer cyborgs. Let me turn it over to the Activision Games Blog for a second to fill us in on the rest:
Call of Duty: Black Ops III will thrust players into a dark, gritty future, where cybernetics and biotechnology have given rise to a new breed of soldier. Empowered by Direct Neural Interface (DNI) technology, players will assume the role of Black Ops soldiers that are interconnected, faster, and more lethal than ever in a new four-player co-op campaign and a completely redefined multiplayer experience.
With a new momentum-based, chained movement system that allows players to move fluidly through environments and maintain constant control of their weapon, Call of Duty: Black Ops III is packed with new multiplayer features. In addition to a new weapon customization system that lets players create unique weapon variants, Call of Duty: Black Ops III introduces the new Specialist system, which lets players choose and rank up nine elite Black Ops soldiers, each with their own unique look, personality, backstory, and devastating weapons and abilities.
Finally, Activision revealed that Treyarch’s signature Zombies Mode will be back with “its own unique story and XP progression system.” More details on Zombies Mode will be announced later this year and we’ll surely learn a lot more about Call of Duty: Black Ops III as we get closer to this year’s E3 Expo.
Last night, the San Francisco Film Society presented Guillermo Del Toro with the Irving M. Levin Directing Award for 2001’s The Devil’s Backbone. Del Toro spoke took the stange afterwards and, in addition to talking about his illustrious film career, confirmed that he is no longer involved with the development of Silent Hills. According to photojournalist Matt Hackney: Del Toro said, “It’s not gonna happen and that breaks my greasy heart.”
While it sounds like the game has been canceled, IGN is reporting that Del Toro’s representatives are stressing that only the director’s involvement with the game has ended. They said the decision to cancel or continue with Silent Hills ultimately rests with Konami, and the publisher hasn’t made an official statement on the game’s status since its announcement.
However, this news comes just a few days after Konami announced (via the game’s official website) that PT, a “Playable Teaser” of Silent Hills that was added to the PlayStation Store last year, would no longer be available to download as of this Wednesday, April 29. The removal of PT from the PlayStation Store and the probable cancellation of Silent Hills also lends more credibility to the rumors that Hideo Kojima will leave Konami after the completion of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Though, again, all of that is technically in the realm of speculation.
Del Toro has been trying to break into the video game industry for over a decade now without much luck. In 2010, he teamed up with THQ to produce Insane, a horror game with Lovecraftian influences. THQ canceled Insane in 2012, but the director retained the rights to the game, so something could still happen with it someday. The same can’t be said for Sundown, a zombie game in development at Terminal Reality that was permanently canceled in 2006.
UPDATE: Norman Reedus, who was all set to star in Silent Hills, said on Twitter that Silent Hills is as good as dead. While we still haven’t heard official word from Konami, I think it’s safe to say the game has been canceled.
Welcome to another week of new video game releases. The game publishers have supplied us a gaggle of eclectic titles to close out the month of April. Let’s look closer…
- State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition brings Undead Labs’ zombie game to the Xbox One with enhanced graphics and both downloadable expansions.
- Omega Quintet is a PS4 RPG that puts the fate of the world in the hands of a girl group who has learned to weaponize their singing.
- A boxed edition of Broken Age completes the story of Double Fine’s point-and-click adventure game.
- El Presidente reigns supreme on the PS4 in Tropico 5.
- The Golf Club: Collector’s Edition packages a golf simulation that has been available as a downloadable game since last year for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
- Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown is another turn-based strategy game set in the Shadowrun universe for the PC.
- The Weaponographist is a top-down roguelike for the PC that drops an adventurer into an arena full of monsters and the weapons to defeat them.
- Finally, Dungeons II is an evil overlord simulator for the PC where players must conquer the world as “The Dungeon Lord.”
That’s it for this week’s look at gaming’s new retail releases, but we’re sure to get several new downloadable titles on the PlayStation Store, the Xbox Games Store, the Nintendo eShop, and Steam later this week.
Stop the presses! Kotaku has acquired a picture of a pre-order poster for Call of Duty: Black Ops III that lists the game’s release date as November 6. This would be big news if it weren’t for the fact that nearly every Call of Duty game, stretching all the way back to Call of Duty 3, is released in early November. The only weird thing about the date is that it’s a Friday, but skipping Tuesday as a launch date has become increasingly common in recent years.
But still, we can glean one bit of useful information from this poster. According to the image, everyone who pre-orders the game will receive an invite to a closed beta on the PC, PS4, or Xbox One. Confirmation of those three platforms isn’t surprising, but it does hint at Activision moving on from previous-gen consoles for the Call of Duty franchise. Black Ops III’s source code leak did refer to the game as “the first [Call of Duty] title for next-gen hardware,” so the PS3 and Xbox 360 may not be in the cards at Treyarch. However, this isn’t proof that a previous-gen version isn’t happening, either.
On the other hand, this could be some kind of hoax. That kind of thing isn’t unprecedented. But even if it a fake, the information is still likely to be accurate. Wrap your head around that!
All that said, we’ll learn a lot more about Call of Duty: Black Ops III this Sunday, April 26, when Activision pulls the curtain back on the game’s “World Reveal.”
Sportswriters across the country are getting ready to anoint Stephen Curry as the best basketball player in the NBA. NBA 2K15 publisher 2K Games won’t argue with their, as the publisher predicts Curry’s Golden State Warriors will win the 2015 NBA Championship.
Using an NBA 2K15 simulation, 2K Games believes that Golden State will emerge victorious over the Cleveland Cavaliers in a six-game series. Their path through the playoffs will take them past the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trailblazers, and the San Antonio Spurs (in a series that will go the full seven games). If the Cavaliers play their part, they’ll defeat the Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls, and Atlanta Hawks to reach the Finals. Real-life is currently cooperating as both Golden State and Cleveland each enjoy 3-0 leads in their respective first round matchups.
According to 2K’s simulation, Stephen Currey and Lebron James will clash in the Finals, with each putting up multiple 30-point games. In the end, the Golden State Warriors will hoist the trophy with Curry also walking away with the Finals MVP.
If you’ve yet to play NBA 2K15 and you’re an Xbox Live Gold subscriber, you’ll be able to try out the game for free all weekend on your Xbox One. According to Xbox Wire, the free download will be available beginning today at 3:00 PM (Eastern Time) and will be operational through Monday, April 27 at 3:00 AM (also Eastern Time).
NetherRealm Studios used the latest Kombat Kast to announce that owners of the Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack will be able to download Jason Voorhees on May 5. The rest of us mere mortals (though, isn’t everyone “mortal” in Mortal Kombat?) will have to wait until May 12 to purchase the character as part of the Ultimate Horror Pack, which will also include scary skins for Mileena (Vampiress), Reptile (Kraken), and Ermac (Pharaoh).
The developer plans to stream a special Kombat Kast this Monday, May 4, to celebrate Jason’s introduction to the world of Mortal Kombat X. If you’re not sure Jason is worth the money, don’t worry, NetherRealm’s Ed Boon said you’ll be able to try out the horror icon (for free) in a Jason-themed Living Tower.
Three other characters will eventually be added to Mortal Kombat X as part of the Kombat Pack including The Predator, Tanya, and fan-favorite Tremor.
Telltale Games has just announced they’ve teamed up with Marvel Entertainment to produce an episodic game for PC and consoles based on a Marvel property. The official announcement is incredibly sparse on details, but we do that the game will be released in 2017. So we’ve got quite a long time to wait.
While it could just as easily be based on Marvel Comics continuity, the company has quite an impressive slate of films on tap for 2017 including Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Thor: Ragnarok, and the debut of Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
However, Telltale might be working on a game unconnected to either continuity. Last year, Marvel’s TQ Jefferson said the company wants to create a connected universe of games to rival the MCU. A high-profile title from Telltale Games would be the perfect way to kick off such an initiative.