No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
The biggest news this week wasn’t an exciting new announcement or confirmation of a long-awaited release date. The biggest new this week is that The Walt Disney Company has decided to shut down their Disney Interactive division and brought an end to the Disney Infinity franchise. Disney didn’t go into too many details about why the shutdown took place, but they did say that the plan going forward is to license their characters and films to other game publishers.
Elsewhere on Warp Zoned, we published Part Two of It’s In Your Blood: A History of Horror Games this week. Moving into the 90s, it’s time to relive Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil, Clock Tower, and a few others. A review of Enter the Gungeon was also published this week, and it might be worth a look as the twin-stick shooter/roguelike-like hybrid definitely has its moments.
More news from the week that was can be found after the break.
New Game Announcements
- Civilization VI will be released exclusively for the PC on October 21.
- Nintendo announced North American release dates for Style Savvy: Fashion Forward and Disney Magical World 2.
- Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is officially coming in 2017, alongside a new original title from EA.
- EA will release the next Need For Speed game in 2017.
- Madden NFL 17 will be released on August 23 and Rob Gronkowski is this year’s Cover Athlete/Curse Victim.
Pre-Launch Updates, Release Dates, and Other Game News
- Here’s two more screenshots and a few story details from Cyanide’s Call of Cthulhu adaptation.
- Monster Hunter Generations will slay 3DS owners this July.
- Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice will be released this September.
- Dark Souls III was the best-selling game of April 2016.
- Motiga partnered with Perfect World, which will publish Gigantic later this year.
- Nintendo is planning to drastically slash the price of their 2DS handheld later this month.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine expansion will be available on May 31.
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will be on display during this year’s E3 Expo (and it’s officially got an Early 2017 release date).
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster is now available on Steam.
- Pokemon Sun/Moon‘s Starter Pokemon have been revealed and it’ll be released on November 18.
- Wes Copeland set a new world record for Donkey Kong with a near-perfect run.
- Minecraft: Wii U Edition is getting a free Super Mario Mash-Up Pack next week.
- Fallout 4’s Survival Mode is now available for PC, PS4, Xbox One.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan – “Character Trailers”
- Chvrches wrote a theme song for Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst and it’s called “Warning Call.”
- Here’s the first trailer for the Assassin’s Creed film adaptation.
Rumor Has It
- Capcom is planning a “full-scale offensive” for the Resident Evil franchise this year.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Doom, Disney Art Academy, more
- Nintendo Download: Super Meat Boy, Minecraft: Super Mario Mash-Up Pack, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, more
- PlayStation Store: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Doom, MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune Vs Zombies, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Raiden V
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Doom, Grand Prix Rock N Racing, GunWorld II
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, Homefront: The Revolution