No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
This was a bad week for video game fans everywhere as Nintendo announced they’re discontinuing the NES Classic Edition. The microconsole was originally released in November, and its been hard to find ever since, so this is a particularly big blow to retro gaming fans. Hopefully, the upcoming launch of the Virtual Console on Nintendo’s Switch will help us forget this strange decision.
But there was also good news this week as EA unveiled the first trailer for Star Wars: Battlefront II, which showcased the game’s single-player campaign and confirmed a November 17 release date.
Elsewhere on Warp Zoned this week, the latest edition of Kickstart This! focuses on the retro-styled Cowgirls Vs Cthonimon, and the newest Scientifically Proven Best Video Games of All Time essay delves into the weird world of the ridiculously popular The Sims.
More news from the week that was can be found after the break.
- Weekend Pipeline 4/14/17: Free Vacation in Elder Scrolls Online’s Tamriel
New Game Announcements
- A new version of Namco Museum is coming to the Nintendo Switch this Summer.
- Deathstate, a “single-stick shooter” is coming to the PS4 on April 25.
- Bayonetta is now available for the PC through Steam.
- Koei Tecmo’s many characters will mix it up in Warriors All-Stars this August.
- Bandai Namco announced Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker for the PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Bandai Namco will re-release all four Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm games on the PC, PS4, Xbox One in a Legacy collection.
Pre-Launch Updates and Release Date Announcements
- Culdcept Revolt will be released for the 3DS on August 29.
- Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will include Super Mario Mash-Up Pack when it launches on May 11.
- Splatoon 2 will add a wave-based Salmon Run co-op mode when it launches on July 21.
- Arms will be available for the Nintendo Switch on June 16.
- Sega will release Yakuza Kiwami for the PS4 on August 29.
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (and Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy) will be released for PS4 on August 22.
- NetherRealm discussed the game’s customizable Gear System in a new Injustice 2 trailer.
- Westworld actress Shannon Woodward has joined the case of The Last of Us Part II.
Other Game News
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Yooka-Laylee, Stardew Valley: Collector’s Edition, StarBlood Arena
- Nintendo Download: Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, Mr. Shifty, Bye-Bye BoxBoy!, more
- PlayStation Store: Yooka-Laylee, Cosmic Star Heroine, Kero Blaster, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Yooka-Laylee, MX Vs ATV 2017 Official Track Edition, The Sexy Brutale, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Sengoku 2
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition, The Silver Case, Deformers, more