No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
Happy Anniversary… Happy Anniversary… Haaappy Anniversary!
Apple’s iOS App Store celebrated its fifth anniversary this week and the massive company is sharing the wealth by giving iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch users a present in the form of ten free games. And they aren’t just random titles, it’s some of the best stuff the App Store has to offer including Infinity Blade II, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Angry Birds Star Wars, Peggle, and Mirror’s Edge. And speaking of Angry Birds Star Wars… Rovio has strongly hinted that the next five years of the iOS App Store will begin with the announcement of a sequel to the popular bird-flinger based on the Prequel Trilogy.
In non-video game news, we sat down with the co-creator of the card game Don’t Play With Drugs on the eve of the end of its Kickstarter campaign. Sadly, the community chose not to fund the project, but hopefully the team at Right After Then will try again in the future.
What do you think about tabletop gaming coverage on Warp Zoned? Would you like to see more? Let us know in the comments and be sure to hit the jump for more news from the week that was.
The Week in Reviews…
- The Starship Damrey: A Clever, Fun, and Terrifying Space Puzzler
- Monaco: What’s Yours Is Mine… But Not If I Go Alone
- Steve Jackson’s Sorcery!: Choose-Your-Own Adventure Never Felt So Fun
The Week in New Games…
- This Week’s Releases: NCAA Football 14, Civilization V: Brave New World, Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection, and more.
- This Week’s PlayStation Network Update: NCAA Football 14, Binary Domain, and more.
- This Week’s XBLA Wednesday: None
- This Week’s Nintendo Download: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Star Wars Pinball, Metroid, Donkey Kong, and more.
- Next Week’s Releases: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Dynasty Warriors 8, Time and Eternity, and more.
Amazing Paperboy Delivers…
- First-person BASE jumping sim AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! For the Awesome is getting Oculus Rift support.
- DuckTales Remastered will be released for most platforms on August 13. Xbox 360 owners have to wait until September.
- This is a surprise, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus has been announced for a PS3 release this year.
- Reef Entertainment has released the first trailer for Rambo: The Video Game.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II’s Vengeance Map Pack will be available for the PC and PS3 on August 1.
- Atlus will release Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness on October 8.
- WB Games has penciled in a September 24 release date for Scribblenauts Unmasked.
- Square Enix has released a trailer comparing Final Fantasy X HD with the SD original.
- Rockstar has released the first gameplay trailer for Grand Theft Auto V and it’s everything you hoped it would be.
- Microsoft has assigned prices and release dates to the four games of this year’s Summer of Arcade promotion.
It’s A Secret To Everybody…
- Ubisoft’s CEO has revealed that ZombiU was unprofitable and that there is currently no plans to create a sequel. Message to Ubisoft: Make one anyway!
- Shigeru Miyamoto told Famitsu that he’s working on a “new franchise.” Message to Nintendo: Spill!
- Square Enix wants to add Star Wars characters to Kingdom Hearts III… as long as Disney is OK with it. Message to Disney: Be OK with it!
Google done did a Doodle celebrating the 66th Anniversary of the Roswell Crash. What does this have to do with games? The Doodle is actually an adorable point-and-click adventure game that asks players to help E.T. get home.