No, that’s not a typo. Welcome to the Weekly Warp-Up, your weekly wrap-up of the biggest and the best articles posted at Warp Zoned this week…
It was April Fool’s Day yesterday, and as usual, game publishers delivered a few goofy gags for their fans. And a few of them even turned out to be real.
The creators of Breaking Bad are NOT working on a Grand Theft Auto series for AMC, and NetherRealm is NOT adding the Wonder Twins to Injustice 2. However, you actually can dash down streets as Ms. Pac-Man with the “Insert Coin” filter on Google Maps. And Sega really did release 8-Bit Bayonetta as a free download through Steam.
But I think this year’s most interesting prank might be the BlizzCon Textual Adventure (a parody of the Choose Your Own Adventure books) that Blizzard added to the convention’s official website.
If you’re looking for more actual news, the biggest headline from the previous seven days has to be that Destiny 2 is officially coming to the PC, PS4, Xbox One on September 8.
And speaking of shooters, we looked at how Disorganization Leads to Criticism At Halo World Championship 2017 Finals, and offered up our impressions of the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire.
Finally this week, our latest Scientifically Proven Best Video Games of All Time essay looks at the urban legends spawned by Pac-Man.
You can read all about the rest of this week after the break.
- Weekend Pipeline 3/31/17: It’s A Good Day To Be A PC Gamer
New Game Announcements
- Planescape: Torment – Enhanced Edition will be available for the PC and mobile devices on April 11.
- Try not to die of dysentery in The Caribbean Sail… which is now available for PC.
- Atlus Japan recently unveiled a Radiant Historia remake, Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2.
- JoyMasher is channeling Contra and Metal Slug in the upcoming Blazing Chrome.
- StarCraft Remastered will launch this Summer, and Blizzard has plans to re-release the original StarCraft for free.
Pre-Launch Updates and Release Date Announcements
- Cities: Skylines will break new ground on the Xbox One on April 21.
- The first trailer for Star Wars: Battlefront II will debut on April 15.
- The Scarecrow, Bane, Captain Cold, and Gorilla Grodd stole the show in the latest Injustice 2 trailer.
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment will be released for the PC on April 5.
- A new trailer and screenshots revealed that Akiba’s Beat will be released for the PS4 and Vita on May 16.
- Graceful Explosion Machine will be released for the Switch on April 6.
- Enter the Gungeon will be available for the Xbox One on April 5.
- The first episode from Telltale’s Guardians of the Galaxy series will debut on April 18.
- Valkyria Revolution will be released for the PS4, Xbox One, and Vita on June 27.
Other Game News
- Quake Champions – “Anarki”
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Episode 1: Tangled Up In Blue – “Debut Trailer”
- Disgaea 5 Complete – “Opening Movie”
- Destiny 2 – “Last Call”
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: MLB The Show 17, RBI Baseball 2017, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix, more
- Nintendo Download: Snake Pass, Metal Slug, Pikmin 2, more
- PlayStation Store: The Walking Dead: A New Frontier – Episode 3: Above the Law, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix, MLB The Show 17, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): The Walking Dead: A New Frontier – Episode 3: Above the Law, Has-Been Heroes, RBI Baseball 2017, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Thimbleweed Park, Punch Club, The King of Fighters 95, more
- Next Week’s Retail Releases: Persona 5, Lego City Undercover, Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition, more